notecard bible true

As Christians we are to always be ready to give a defense of the hope that is within us (1 Pet. 3:15). The basis of this hope is our confidence that the Bible is God’s Word. It is trustworthy and sufficient.

There are many times when our confidence in the Bible can come under attack. Consider a temptation to doubt the truth of God’s Word when you or someone close to you is diagnosed with a severe medical condition. Are you tempted to doubt the sufficiency and truthfulness of God’s promises? Or consider the moment of great temptation to sin. Like Eve you are appraising the way the desire can bring satisfaction to you and meet your need. You weigh this against God’s Word. At some point you have to remind yourself of the truthfulness of the Bible. Finally, consider a conversation with an unbelieving friend who is sanctioning their lifestyle because the Bible is not true. In each of these scenarios you need to have some quick, simple, and compelling truths on retainer.

I’ve put these 5 together as something of a quick reference notecard for why I believe the Bible. I’m sure there is an acronym or something clever but I’ve not thought of it.

(1) The Biblical Argument.

By this I simply mean that the Bible claims to be God’s Word. This claim is not just in a remote passage or book but throughout. We read in 2 Timothy 3:16, “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,”. The source of the text, the Word is God himself. There is no flinching on this fact from Genesis to Revelation. The fact that the Bible claims to be God’s Word and proves to be so throughout history needs to be on my mind when dealing my doubts or a skeptic’s.

(2) The Historical Argument.

Here I am simply saying that overall the people and places in the Bible show up in history. When we read of descriptions of times and events we often find these same things in extra-biblical history. Further, when archeologists dig and uncover ancient artifacts it often shows us that biblical events that were not previously discovered were in fact true. And finally, the history of events from within the Bible in terms of prophecy, they happen. Consider the Babylonian captivity, King Cyrus, and the details concerning the life of Christ. Within the canon of Scripture it unfolds with historical consistency.

(3) The Empirical Argument.

Personally speaking, I have experienced a substantial change. The day I was converted I walked out of my house cursing God and then I came home praising him. How does this happen? My experience tells me that this is not some ordinary book. I’ve been moved to tears reading other books but this book actually reads me, wrecks me, and rebuilds me. What’s more, I’ve seen and experienced this same thing with other people. This change is not limited to gender, ethnicity, geography, or even time. This book claims to change lives and it actually does.

(4) The Logical Argument.

There is a single, coherent theme throughout the book that the glory of God is paramount. If God were to write a book this is how he would write it. If man were to write a book this is not how he would write it. It has the “ring of truth” as Lewis would say. Man would tend to diminish his defects and exaggerate his virtues; the Bible seems to do the opposite. It maintains the dignity of humanity but also shows its brokenness. It is here that we see the glory of God on display. This brings me to another aspect of this argument. If you survey all world religions most will agree that there is a problem and they exist to help us with this problem. However, it is only biblical Christianity that actually maintains a God who does not compromise. Every other plan of salvation has God bending his righteousness in order to show love. Man and God partner together to achieve salvation. However, with the Bible God does not compromise. He maintains and demonstrates his righteousness while showing forth his love! On the cross God is both the just and the justifier (Rom. 3:26). This means that he does not compromise. Think about this: the Bible maintains that all of God’s attributes are in tact, no dimples, defects, or deflation! However, without the cross (and outside of the Bible) you have a god who compromises something in order to bring salvation. This reminds me of God’s infinite wisdom, love, mercy and grace—as well as his authorship of the Bible.

(5) The Christological Argument.

This seals the deal. Here it is an a nutshell: since Jesus rose from the dead he is God, therefore, his view of the Bible is the right one. Jesus believed the Bible was divinely inspired (Mt. 4:2; Mt. 22:31-32), authoritative (Lk. 4; Jn. 10:34-36; 12:47-48); powerful (Mt. 5:17-18; Jn. 6:63; Jn. 17:17); and about him (Lk: 24:25-27, 44-47; Jn. 5:46-47). Furthermore, he believed the Bible was historically accurate, “”In the Gospels we see Jesus reference Abel, Noah, Abraham, Sodom and Gomorrah, Isaac and Jacob, manna in the wilderness, the serpent in the wilderness, Moses as the lawgiver, David and Solomon, the Queen of Sheba, Elijah and Elisha, the widow of Zerephath, Naaman, Zechariah, and even Jonah, never questioning a single event, a single miracle, or a single historical claim. Jesus clearly believed in the historicity of biblical history.” (DeYoung, Taking God at His Word). Having Jesus’ bibliology is never a bad idea.

In the midst of temptation you will hear the words of doubt again, “Did God really say?” You and I need to be ready to muzzle the serpent with truth. Continue to tutor yourself with the reality that God’s Word is in fact God’s Word. Do this in the good times as well as the difficult times. Keep on studying and delighting in this truth that you might be able to properly deal with doubts both from within and from without.

15 thoughts on “Notecard Answers for Why I Believe the Bible”

1. Chuckt says:

I like the Awana reasons for why the Bible is true:

I think it is worth it to start Awana at your church for kids.

2. Keith Williams says:

An acronym? Move #2 to the end of the list and then just BELCH.

3. Catherine says:

Does God compromise? See 4.

1. Meryl says:

That’s what I was wondering about!

This post speaks important truth for us to remember. It’s great that we have these online resources but as someone who struggles with reading I just wish there was more proof reading.

What does this mean, “Here is it is an a nutshell”?

2. I was confused by this sentence :

“This means that he does compromise.”

Should that read “doesn’t compromise”, or have I misunderstood the argument?

1. Erik Raymond says:

Good catch…thanks!

4. Jon says:

This is a superb, succinct essay on reasons to believe the Bible is God’s word. Thank you so much for writing it. You don’t have to be a theologian to remember these reasons! I’m looking forward to sharing it with my kids and others in our church.

5. Jake says:

Did this part mean to say ‘This means that he does NOT compromise’? Just thought I’d check on a suspected typo!

“On the cross God is both the just and the justifier (Rom. 3:26). This means that he does compromise. Think about this:”

6. John Doe says:

So you’re #1 argument for why you believe the Bible is that the Bible claims to be God’s word? And when the drunk guy on the street corner claims to be the devil, do you think, “well, if he claims to be the devil, I guess I’ll believe that”. You seem to think that because the Bible makes this claim “throughout”, it is a stronger argument. Going back to our drunk man on the corner, if he’s there every day, does that strengthen his argument that he is the devil?

1. CB22 says:

There is an important distinction you fail to make. What if there was good evidence, outside of the man’s claim, that he was, in fact, the devil? Wouldn’t you have to consider the possibility at that point? That is really what we are dealing with in the Bible. It claims to be God’s word, then it goes on to have fulfilled prophecies, historically verifiable events, and all that jazz. That is much different that just a bald claim.

7. bondservant says:

Trusting the bible – and – trusting what man says the bible says are not the same thing.

8. Alejandro Mena says:

This is a personal opinion.
    I believe in the Bible as God’s word and I am looking for arguments for that my self, but…
    1 and 5 are not able to be applied, because they didn’t mean the current canon we call Bible.
    With 2 and 4 you open vaste fields of contra-arguments and if you are not academic it could be difficult to sustain the discussion properly for how long it’s required.
    I haven’t found good arguments yet, beside the subjective one (3).

9. Daniel Herndon says:

I am a believer, but not in inerrancy. I want to believe in it, but I have yet to find any argument to support it except those that you pose here. None of them hold water though. Allow me to explain:

1. The Biblical Argument:
    The Koran also claims to be God’s Word. In fact, it more directly and more consistently claims it. The Bible however has a few verses (yes, throughout) that refer to “God’s Word” as valuable and true, and that scripture is inspired. It never says that “this specific writing is directly from God”. Even if it does, the Koran has the same case, but you wouldn’t agree with it for a second, would you?

2. The Historical Argument
    Sure, there are accurate references to history in the Bible. Just as there are in many other writings. I bet the Nazi’s described their genocide as the greater good, and paint their history in a good light. By the same method, the Israelites painted themselves in a good light and claimed their commitment of genocide (in Canaan) was God’s commandment. That doesn’t make the whole book true, even though some of their killings really did happen. Similarly, the fact that the new testament is based on real history is not a good argument for theology. If that is a good argument, then Buddah (a real historical character – ) would have the same argument, with a similar story even before Jesus’ time on earth.

3. The Empirical Argument
    That’s a good reason for you to believe. But others have similar stories in unrelated religions or life experiences. Is there some reason why they should not believe their life experience but should believe yours? If there is, that might be a better case.

4. The Logical Argument
    Your logical argument is not a good argument, but it is also not at all logical. Logic is fact A + fact B = indisputable conclusion C, whereas you simply explain how your assumptions support your views without applying logic.
    I’ll point a few things out:
    – “If God were to write a book, this is how he would write it” – What are you basing this assumption on other than the book itself? Because even if you are right that is not a use of logic, and you don’t actually know how God would write a book, unless your assumption happens to be right. Again, you could be right, but that is not logical. it’s an assumption.
    – “If man were to write a book, he would write it differently” – again, the Koran has very similar values regarding man’s defects and virtues, which is contrary to your point. Does that mean you concede to believe the Koran as well? I assume no, even though the same argument supports it.
    – Regarding other religions – this shows you do not know much about other religions. 1. God does bend to his people, as you see in several examples. You’d probably just call it mercy. 2. There are other religions claiming God to be equally or less compromising than that in Christianity. Either way, this point however discusses the nature of God as you understand it. It does not explain anything about why to believe the Bible is accurate and is genuinely God’s words.

5. The Christological Argument
    This could seal the deal, however you reference scripture where Jesus said that Moses “wrote of me”. Again, other Religions possess writings that actually claim their own Truth. You aren’t accepting those, so that can’t be the reason. Again, other religions talk of their leading figure raising from the dead, but you are not calling them God – and frankly you don’t even believe those writings.

You are welcome to muzzle all the serpents you want with truth, but I today have shared nothing but truth. I admire and respect your faith. I have no problem with your acceptance of Jesus over another, but with all due respect, your arguments for your point are weak at best.

10. Daniel Herndon says:

And sorry that my whole post turned into a link. That was not intended! :)

11. Mark Klassen says:

The Christian Research Institute has a small booklet titled ‘MAPS’, the acronym being Manuscript evidence, Archeological evidence, Prophetic evidence, and Statistical evidence–good resource to help remember how to defend the veracity of Scripture.