adorejesusWe are typically very quick to note when someone is not showing love for their neighbor. But what about love for Jesus? Should it settle implicitly? Is love for Christ something that is sufficient when latent?

What I notice a lot every day in the Christian spheres of social media is just how incredibly adept we evangelicals are at doctrinal criticism, cultural rebuke, theological analysis, biblical exegesis, contending for the faith in apologetic and ethical debates, pithy spiritual bon mots, religious advice, and of course the quoting of Christian leaders present and past, but what seems less prevalent is adoration of Jesus.

When we see a Bible verse, we run its meaning through our mind and can expound on it with intelligence, but when we see Christ before us, do we stagger at his beauty and exult in it with awe? Do we adore Jesus?

When we see a lost person acting a fool in the news, our righteous indignation runs right through our fingertips to our keyboards, but when we see Christ before us, does our righteousness crumble and run right to his feet in a posture of supplication? Do we adore Jesus?

When we see one of our Christian heroes saying something smart or funny or challenging, we send them a virtual high-five and echo the proclamation in shouts of appreciation, but when we see Christ before us, do we lift him high in our hearts and herald his glory with shouts of acclamation? Do we adore Jesus?

When we see that someone is wrong on the Internet, we feel the responsibility to speak up, to be the one to stand in the gap between their ignorance and our assurance, but when we see Christ before us — supreme and sovereign and saving — do we feel the wonders of his radiance?

When we look at Jesus, are we warmed? Or do we shrug our shoulders?

Some professing Christians don’t seem to speak of Christ at all. Let them ask themselves, “Do I adore Jesus?”

Has Jesus become our mascot, our projection? When you look at him, what do you see?

There’s nothing wrong with using the Internet public squares for all kinds of messages, from the serious to the silly, and I don’t mean to suggest that there is. I just want to ask sometimes, “But do you adore Jesus? It seems you are fired up about all sorts of things, but it is not clear if you love Jesus.” I don’t think we should simply assume from some peripheral fire that the central ignition is love of Christ.

Christ is the apex of all that is precious, the center of all that is glorious and delightful. He is the very point of existence. He is the Son of the living God, the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last who was and is and is to come. “O come let us adore him!”, not scrutinize, utilize, or analyze him.

Let the redeemed of the LORD say so…
— Psalm 107:2

How beautiful upon the mountains
are the feet of him who brings good news,
who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness,
who publishes salvation,
who says to Zion, “Your God reigns.”
— Isaiah 52:7

15 thoughts on “But Do You Adore Jesus?”

1. WoundedEgo says:

“Someone is wrong on the internet” — bwah, hah, hah!

2. Bobbi Brown says:

The more we know Him the more we love Him!

3. anthony says:

how ‘glorious and ‘delightful’ of you, in the name of Christ to demean people by tweeting ‘if you support trump you’re a sell out. take some time bro and pray about such a stupid tweet. like politics is going to save us anyway? so now, you, in your self righteous pontificating need to demean me if i choose to support trump? i think it makes you look like everyone else, when you seem to try so hard, and often times succeed to NOT act like everyone else and NOT come off as so many supposed evangelical leaders who seem to only want to sell books or cd’s. just when i thought someone truly was over themselves, they go and blow it and act like a self righteous, prideful, arrogant, political windbag. save it dude. disappointed in you. lost respect and think you need to check your heart. stay true to yourself though if this is the new you.

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

You know, “self righteous pontificating demeaning money-hungry prideful, arrogant, political windbag” is an apt description for Trump himself, and since you support him, I wouldn’t have guessed you’d be so sensitive.

1. Murph says:

Wow. Shots fired.

Blessed are the peacemakers…and all that.
        Ecclesiastes 7:9
        Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools.

Oh Oh And:

Proverbs 20:3
        It is to one’s honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel.

Proverbs 10:19
        Sin is not ended by multiplying words, but the prudent hold their tongues.

Proverbs 14:29
        Whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly.

Proverbs 17:27
        The one who has knowledge uses words with restraint, and whoever has understanding is even-tempered.

OOH I just LOVE this book. It’s filled with SUCH good stuff. Now can’t we all just speak the truth in love and not have such a salty comment section attached to a wonderful article on how we should all adore Jesus, who is truly worthy of all our love? Please?

Ephesians 4:32
        And be you kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, …

I’m not seeing a lot of kindness, love, tenderheartedness, or anything but strife down here.
        Honestly I don’t know why I bother with the comments. Even when I expect my own brothers and sisters to be there.

1. Brenda says:

Never read the comments. I don’t know when I’ll ever learn. It was a good article anyway….

Great scripture references, Murph. Certainly appropriate.

2. seeker4truth says:

Well said Murph, loved your scripture references. I am saddened to see this kind of exchange. Too bad the author allowed himself to be drawn into the provocation.

4. WoundedEgo says:

Jared, I’m not sure if adoration of Jesus is enjoined in scripture.

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

1. WoundedEgo says:

It sounds pious but is it scriptural?

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

I understood you the first time. My “wut” was a remark of incredulity at your comment. If you have actually read the Bible and don’t believe there is any encouragement in it to adore (ie. “worship”) Jesus, I can’t help you.

5. I pretty much love this. The passion of my life is a living, breathing relationship with my Savior, and that’s a major thrust of my writing. I, too, have noticed an absence of this ardor online, among social media users and professional writers alike. So many of our struggles and questions in the Christian life are resolved when we’re living in relationship with Him, relying daily on His grace by faith, and growing deeper in our knowledge of Him and our love for Him. Thank you for this excellent word. Yes, I adore Jesus!

6. One thing we know for certain, even as we “work out our salvation with fear and trembling,”…Jesus adored His Father and His Father adored Him.

And because of His mercy, as His children, we get to be right in the middle of that! Which leads me to ask:

“Father, do I adore Your Son? It’s so easy to say I do, feel I do and think I do, but You know the real truth. Am I obeying You in all You’ve commanded me to do? Are my works for You led by love for Your Name or mine or a mixture? Whatever the truth might be in places only Your spirit of truth can go to, thank You for being the faithful Sanctifier. Thank You for making a way to fellowship with You, Your Son and Your Spirit, through the precious blood of the Lamb. Thank You for Your faithfulness to complete the work You started in me. Especially the “work” of believing You and adoring Your Son.”

In the Merciful and Mighty Name of Jesus Amen

7. Adam says:

JW- Thank you for this post, it is both convicting and encouraging. To be intoxicated by the love of Jesus must be the adoration that fuels my worship for Him alone. Thanks brother.

8. Branden says:

What do you mean by “when we see Jesus”? What do you mean by “adoring Jesus”?

I have the same question as WoundedEgo. What scriptural support do you have for this post? Yes, Jesus is Lord as he was exulted by God, but the glory of the Son’s service was the Father’s to which we are called to do likewise as men. See Philippians 2:1-11. Jesus had always pointed to the Father and defined love for Jesus as following God’s commands. He didn’t say to adore him. See John 14. Jesus also clarifies how he’s the way to the Father for mankind; giving man the assurance that is in God’s promise of eternal life for those that seek peace with God and have his Spirit. See John 16.

Jared C. Wilson photo

Jared C. Wilson

Jared C. Wilson is the Director of Content Strategy for Midwestern Seminary, managing editor of For The Church, and author of more than ten books, including Gospel Wakefulness, The Pastor’s Justification, and The Prodigal Church. You can follow him on Twitter.

Jared C. Wilson's Books