worshipIn which a crusty old curmudgeon rants a little about annoying songleader banter. Don’t take this too seriously, except maybe do.

10. Are we ready to have fun this morning?

The answer is, “Probably not.” The truth is, when this is your welcome at the start of the music time, it tells me where your head’s at. Nobody goes to church to have a bad time, of course, and I’m sure plenty of people go to “have fun,” but is this the point of worship? Is “having fun” where you want hearts directed as you lead people to exalt God? No, it’s where you want hearts directed when you’re just trying to “crush your set” or “rock it out for Jesus” [see #5]. “Are we ready to have fun?” is just slightly worse than this next common opener:

9. How’s everybody feeling?

If I wanted to stretch to justify this statement, I could say that what you’re asking the congregation to do is self-reflect on their spiritual condition and present their real, whole selves honestly and submissively to the glory of Christ as you lead them in adoration of him. But my guess is that 9.9 times out of 10 what you’re really trying to do is get people to say, “Woooooooo!”

8. You can do better than that!

Or some other form of nagging about how we’re not singing or participating to your liking. It’s never really on my mind at a church service to think of ways to impress the worship leader. Similarly shaming is:

7. I can’t hear you!

Well, maybe turn the volume down. We can’t hear us either.

6. [Introducing a hymn] Here’s an oldie we dusted off.

Please don’t apologize for leading us in the rare song that is theologically rich and doctrinally solid. Apologize for not leading us in them more often!

5. “Rockin’ worship.”

Please stop. I know you’ve got a good drummer and amps that go to 11, but referring to church music as “rockin'”--or using the phrase “rockin’ it out”--is somewhere in the category of fanny packs and duck-face selfies.

4. Lord, we invite you to be here.

This is the worship leader’s equivalent of “asking Jesus into your heart.” I think I know what the phrase means, but it reveals something about our thinking related to worship. For instance, is it true that God is summoned by our worship? Or is it actually the other way around? He calls us--we then respond in worship. God isn’t a genie and worship isn’t like rubbing a golden lamp. Nor is he a cosmic butler to be summoned. Don’t invite the Lord into a space like he doesn’t already own it and isn’t already there.

3. God showed up.

Again, I think I know what is meant by this phrase. It can be a way of saying “we felt emotionally touched during the music time,” which can be an okay thing--it would be weird for Christians to never feel engaged emotionally in worshiping God--but it can also be a way of equating emotional reactions with God’s presence in an unhelpful way, in a way that inadvertently communicates to people that when they don’t feel good, God must be absent.

2. Let’s give God a hand.

Translation: I would like to hear some applause.

1. Turn to your neighbor and _____________.

There’s really nothing wrong with this approach, but as a socially awkward introvert, this kind of instruction is a huge heaping bowl of panic attack soup.

Related: Top 10 Things I Love That Worship Leaders Do

Comments:

135 thoughts on “Top 10 Things I Wish Worship Leaders Would Stop Saying”

1. These are hilarious and mostly correct. We need to be interacting way less with the audience and way more with God.

On #4 I might disagree on a couple points. “Invite” and “summon” are very different words conveying very different attitudes. Also, God is omnipresent, but your logic is similar to logic I’ve seen used by teachers who tell Christians not to consecrate themselves because “you can’t consecrate to God something he already owns”. Yet Scripture clearly teaches us to consecrate.

The key is, there’s a difference between God being present and God being fully embraced. A phrase like “God, we invite you here” is simply intended to consciously welcome him into the worship. That’s a beautiful thing.

1. Ron Wood says:

The one that drives me crazy that everyone on the platform says is: “Stand to your feet and….” Please tell me what else you are supposed to stand on; your head and hands??

1. Heather says:

I’ve always disliked ‘take a seat’. … Where should I take it?

2. Mark Richey says:

God is omnipresent.Always has been

2. Eric Price says:

For #2 (“let’s give God a hand”), I think it is worth considering how statements such as this one communicate differently in different cultural contexts. For example, I recently did a summer internship at a multiethnic church that is largely Hispanic and African-American. There, it is common for the worship leader to say something like “Let’s give God praise,” which the audience responds to with applause. At first, it felt inappropriate to me. But as I learned more about the cultures of the church, I came to see that it is meant as a public acknowledgement of and response to who God is. Predominately white churches are often much less expressive in their worship than Hispanic or African-American churches, so I think it is important that we do not impute motives or attitudes to other styles of worship that are different than our own. I’m not accusing you of doing this; but I’ve realized it is something I have to be careful of myself, so I thought it an appropriate caution to share.

1. Laudir Lugo says:

Excellent observation. These articles are often the opinions of dominant culture (white male) writers who express their theological and cultural views as being one and the same. It often comes off as “if it’s not white (culturally) it’s not right”. While it is not likely that contemporary worship is altogether right, I dare to say that traditional Western Christian forms of worship are not either, both are very reflective of the culture they were birthed in.

1. Zhay says:

No no. Just because it’s a cultural tradition doesn’t make it okay.

There’s nothing, and I mean nothing wrong with being expressive. But being prompted to be expressive and equating it to “the” way to worship bothers me.

-signed Black woman who is not an expressive worshipper

1. Pam says:

You don’t have to be expressive to worship.
          But most people don’t mind or enjoy. Should we all sit down and not express emote etc?

1. Scott says:

To be fair, you are responding to her with a question that ignores what she actually wrote. Zhay was clear that her issue is not with expressive worship but with being prompted to do so.

2. Nick says:

Nailed it. Perfect response.

2. Mel says:

My church does that and we’re at the least 95% middle of a cornfield white.

3. Maureen Enderlin says:

Holy Holy Holy….Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom…Thats the place where we begin to worship…One day we will know what it is to worship Him in Spirit and Truth..I am so tired of the contemporary worship culture.

1. Linda Yoder says:

Amen!

4. Sarah says:

Maybe a better prayer for #4 would be, “We know You are here, as in every other moment of our lives. Forgive us for not recognizing Your presence with us. Take these moments as we focus on You to be a sweet fragrance and reminder of Your ongoing presence in our lives.” Or something to that effect. We know theologically He is with us. But we aren’t always aware of Him.

1. Rick DeBruyne says:

Excellent point, well said, thank you. In my openning prayer I try to acknowledge God’s presence and pray that we can set things aside and be aware. I often say God is like a radio wave. God’s always present but we need to tune in. I also make a point of following that up with that we are in worship to bless God. The big question isn’t if we got anything out of it but if God did. Worship is to declare God’s worth, it’s the service and work of God’s people.

5. Rob says:

While I agree… This article is very critical, and would have been better if you had included alternatives to what bothers you. As a youth pastor/worship leader myself, I can’t help but want the people to be excited to be in the presence of God.

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

Rob, I am actually working on that “What I Love” piece today. Look for it tomorrow or early next week.

In the meantime, I’ve also written an entire study on worship. It presents in great detail a “big picture” perspective and a more gospel-centered, positive alternative.

2. Rick DeBruyne says:

While I appreciate what you’re saying, the dominant response in the Bible to being in the presence of God is falling on one’s face.

3. Shalome Williams says:

I’m sick and tired of worship leader bashing on the internet these days.
      Do you even know how much stress worship leaders can come under. Being on the front line often leads to satan going after the ones that lead the church into the presence of God. I will say that there is nothing worse then a bunch of people that have come to church just to watch and not partisapiate in worship, who are sat down with their faces looking like a smacked bottom, who do nothing but complain and write and share pathetic articles like this. How about appreciate your worship leader, try and get in to the mood and presence of God. They give up so much time to perfect songs and spending time with God all whilst probably working full time aswell. You never know, your attitude may change and you may just become “fun” yourself. Get over yourself!

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

Shalome, I’ve been “on the front lines” of ministry for 20+ years now. I would suggest that if your comment is indicative of how you see the precious flock of God, you probably shouldn’t expect more enthusiasm than you’ve gotten.

Get over yourself!

Yes. This is my whole point. We need to be able to get over ourselves, which is why I’ve created this list. It’s meant to help worship leaders realize worship is about God, not themselves.

1. Jason says:

How many worship pastors have you met that think it’s all about them? I honestly have met nothing but humble sometimes even insecure( because of critical articles like this) people that take on one of the toughest jobs in the church today. Instead of reading into and criticizing little “sayings” why don’t you focus on your own heart and encourage these people that take on this job. most of this list is you assuming what a worship pastor means by saying these things in or about a set. You do not know their heart and I’m all for helping worship pastors. But I think you have done it in a way that is wrong. And that beats them down instead of lifts them up.

1. Colleen Richards says:

Jason,
            I think you are missing what Jared says about being in ministry himself. I too have been a worship leader alongside my husband for many, many years. Maybe it comes with life experience; maybe it’s just certain temperaments (although my husband and I are opposites there)…whatever, I don’t think it’s being negative to speak to things that reflect different levels of maturity and therefore can be “turn offs” for some people. I would equate it with the “turn and greet your neighbor” not being a good fit for certain folks.

2. Brian S. Young says:

“…the ones that lead the church into the presence of God” is another one. Jesus was the one that led the church into the presence of God “once and for all”. It makes it sound like we still need a priest in the form of a worship leader in order for us to enter God’s presence. What am I supposed to do during the week when there’s no worship leaders around; stand outside the veil? Just because you have a musical talent, doesn’t give you some special access to God’s throne room. You’re just playing music so that the rest of the congregation can worship God, whose presence they are ALREADY in!! Oh, and yes, I have been a drummer on our church’s worship team, and once I “got over myself”, I realized I wasn’t the one leading anyone anywhere.

3. LeeM says:

Don’t equate what you perceive as people’s lack of participation in worship as lack of desire to worship. Many, like myself, are tired of performers trying to entertain the masses and get them excited and have fun. If I want a rock concert I can go to one. I want my mind to be engaged in worship, focused on the Sovereign Lord and what He has done for me, that fires my mind which ignites my heart. Perhaps more contemporary worship leaders ought to take seriously these criticisms and honestly reflect on them in light of how they are leading worship. I find many churches nowadays whose service a Mormon, JW, or even agnostic would enjoy and be perfectly content in. Last thing, How does one “get in the mood and presence of God.”? Ponder that one and I think you are touching on much of the heart of the problem.

4. Laura says:

I agree. Are you or have you ever been in the position of Worship Leader? A place where every little thing you do is scrutinized by most everyone in the room that has an opinion about anything. They talk and laugh while you are trying to engage people. They criticize your clothes, hair, voice, song choices (which are usually chosen by a planning committee), you are rarely spoken to personally (which is the Godly thing to do) about their opinions but they tell many others creating negative in the congregation. Your motives are questioned on a regular basis. This ministry is unfortunately based on opinion. EVERYONE has one of how the Worship Leader could do it SO much better if they would JUST listen to me.
        Do you think these people do not pray about getting up every service… Asking The Lord for strength, guidance, courage? And seriously sir… applause? Shame on you.
        If you have ever been in this high profile, thankless position and are not there anymore then I understand why you might say this, or perhaps your Worship leader didn’t give you enough kudos for your wonderful voice or playing. If either is true then you are best staying home. Do worship your way. Please stop making The Lord’s work MORE difficult.
        Serving Him through music ministry ended up crushing my spirit because of critical, selfish, ” well meaning” people.
        The Lord taught me so much through that. I am so thankful for that hurt. It grew me. I am also thankful for ANY person willing to take on the position of Worship leader. They gave my utmost respect. They are storing up rewards for His Kingdom.
        I still occasionally participate on the worship team in the same church with the same people. I see them differently now. Mostly, I engage in worship and if I can’t It isn’t the Worship leaders fault. It is up to me to seek God or get out of the way.

4. ruzan says:

Agree!!! Too critical

5. Max says:

Can I take this opportunity to express my hyper-critical reaction to any and all renditions of “How He Loves (Us)”?

6. Jennifer says:

Yes, but it is God’s presence which excites worshippers. He doesn’t need worship leaders to “work the crowd” like an opening act. The best thing a worship leader can do is get out of the way. As a youth leader it’s so easy to get your kids emotionally ginned up. I’d actually encourage you to get your kids to think more about our great God than to emote about Him.

6. Jonathan says:

Is there a difference between “inviting” God into the gathering and a good old-fashioned invocation?

1. Jon L says:

Good question! Seriously.

7. Danny Ward says:

What I wish is that people would stop writing and posting articles about other people that are just trying to do the best they can leading worship! Did we really need another one? Can we just stop now? Please? I’m sick to death of it.

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

Can we not stand a little constructive criticism? Are we so sensitive and stuck in our ways that any post suggesting a critique must be avoided?

You will like Friday’s post much better, Danny. Stay tuned. I promise to do better.

1. Danielle says:

Constructive criticism is much more effective when done in relationship–as in a pastor giving feedback to their staff/worship leader. An online list of rants is just criticism and is hardly constructive at all.

As a worship leader, I agree there are things we can improve upon. But I have a hard time understanding why someone being on the platform equates to an open invitation for so many people to generalize, critique and judge the hearts of people who are, for the most part, probably trying to do the best with what they have.

I can appreciate freedom of speech and everyone has a right to an opinion but I too am weary of these articles.

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

Danielle, since we are not “in relationship,” on what basis do you share this public criticism?

1. Tom says:

Touché.

2. Nick says:

Maybe worship leaders should loosen up their man bun & get some looser fitting jeans. You guys are wound so tight these days.

1. Cole says:

I read the article and most of the comments, but I stopped here because this is solely hate driven. God’s family is made up of ALL people of ALL backgrounds. Don’t push someone away simply because they don’t fit into ur exterior mold. I recently heard a pastor put it well when he said “Let not our differences become distances.”

3. Shalome Williams says:

Agreed. Worship leader bashing is pathetic and harmful. If they think they can do a better job themselves they should step up to the challenge. Maybe they will see just how stressful it really is.

8. Shannon Tito says:

#1, Really? You can’t turn to your neighbor (in Christ) and say hello? I have difficulty with this but the rest I can accept as legitimate concerns.

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

Of course I can. That’s why I said it was just a minor issue and made a joke about being introverted. (I do think we ought to keep those folks in mind.) And I also said at the outset of the list not to take it too seriously.

1. Peggy G says:

As an introvert I can relate. I would like to interact with people on my own terms. I have seen preachers do this after every other paragraph in their sermon. Drives me crazy and is very distracting!

1. john mosher says:

How about “Turn to your neighbor and say (fill in the blank)?That will shut down any introvert.

1. Mike Stidham says:

I HATE THAT! Especially when they tell you to turn to your neighbor and say something inane like “you look like someone God loves”. I’m not a big fan of that whole practice as it is, but when they have you saying something that sounds like a bad Southern Baptist pick-up line…

9. Ryan Baitzel says:

Wish I was not reading this on gospel coalition … hard to think this was the original vision

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

It is a conspiracy to upset you.

1. Darrin Newhardt says:

I like you Jared!

10. Robert Smith says:

I think I’ve heard all of these at a Hillsong service

11. Martin says:

I have another one … “if you are committed to … (fill in whatever he/she says) … stand up”. It often evokes complicity to peer pressure – like who wants to be the only one remaining seated.. Worship leaders seldom say this, but preachers do.

1. John Hillman says:

Being disabled and ill, I often find it difficult if not impossible to stand up, and am often the only one not standing.

1. Clara says:

Yes, whenever I’m pregnant I get faint standing, even during singing, and it feels weird to be told to do a certain thing. Not everyone is able.

12. Bryce Cooper says:

I agree 100% with this list … these are all inane things to say. Worship should be more thoughtful.

13. James says:

Dude.. you are so bitter.. it’s a shame how theological you get in this whole rant, then your NUMBER 1 point is about feeling panic about turning to a neighbour in church and saying hi! Heaven forbid you actually do what Jesus said and go out and make disciples (having to say hi to people that aren’t sitting next to you in church) instead of being so critical from you high perch of Godliness..

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

Dude, totally. Hashtag bitter and perched.

1. Justin Burkholder says:

Best hashtag ever.

2. DeAnn says:

Lighten up people that take this seriously! My goodness gracious don’t get so upset over this kind of thing. Better to be upset that Hillary might become our new President

3. Aaron says:

James, a couple of questions:
      1) After being subjected to so many of these (perhaps well-intentioned, but still ultimately not useful) worship tropes for years, does a person not have a right to be a bit tired and jaded?
      2) Is the Church not able to withstand internal questioning? Because if it isn’t willing to be sharpened, it is (and often has been in modern Western culture) destined to be left behind by society and miss out on so much of its purpose as the bride of Christ.
      3) The last point he made was a bit tongue in cheek to remind readers that he isn’t taking everything super seriously. Ironically, this is the point you chose to take extra seriously. :)

4. ruzan says:

!!!! Agree with u ..All this article could come out only from unhealed heart full of bitterness unfortunately

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

You forgot about my “perch of godliness”

5. Max says:

While I don’t identify as an introvert, the ubiquitous “turn to your neighbor” command has always been the time when I take a bathroom break.

14. Dennis Wall says:

And Simon says… Ok! Let’s give God a hand!
    And Simon says… Now turn to your neighbor & say _________!
    And Simon says…. Raise your hands up high in the air & give Him Praise!
    And Simon says…. Ok! Repeat after me….
    …. I know I’m a sinner etc., etc., etc.
    And Simon says…. Now you’re saved!
    REALLY? Who saved me? Was it you Preacher dude?
    The moral to this story is. You can be saved in spite of the “Sinner’s Prayer” but not because of it!
    If you have any questions:
    pastorwall@att.net

1. Paul Curd says:

Well said! The sinners prayer has probably misled more people to a false conversion than anything else!

15. Jon L says:

Yay! Let’s give God a hand! The Gospel Coalition blog has turned into the Calvinism’s version of BuzzFeed! :-)

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

Hey, now, if Calvinism had anything to do with this, the list would just be 5 points.

1. Jon L says:

LOL. Well, Neo-Calvinism then, which seems to be more Calvinistic than John Calvin himself. :-)

Semper Calvinizo

16. Martin Bussey says:

Interesting that in the comments a number of people talk about “the audience”. But for me (British and speaking English English) an ‘audience’ is watching something (eg a performance!!) …….. surely, the good old word “congregation” is better?

1. Byron Borger says:

So good. Thanks. I’d have added “Let’s come into God’s presence” since, well…

But I wonder about that #10. Who says that? Granted, I don’t attend a church with a rock show service — I have a hunch most of us don’t — but I can’t imagine saying such a dumb thing and don’t recall ever having heard that in worship. You really hear this with some regularity?

2. Byron Borger says:

Amen! Spot on, as they say. Thanks.

3. Paul Curd says:

Totally! (Also English)

17. Ken Brown says:

The more I realize my own brokenness, the more I recognize that so often we are collectively more apt to seek affirmation that we are “approved of” by others rather than seeking to increase awareness of the approval we have in Christ.

Worship leaders aren’t alone in this seeking affirmation (taking) from the congregation when “leading” worship. Pastors too betray this with things like “Can I get an AMEN!?” which is functionally the same kind of seeking approval. Listen, if the point you are making is really worthy of an Amen, you won’t need to cajole it from the congregation.

18. Jared C. Wilson says:

For those interested, here is a follow-up about 10 things I love that worship leaders do: https://blogs.thegospelcoalition.org/gospeldrivenchurch/2016/08/19/top-10-things-i-love-that-worship-leaders-do/

19. William says:

I, for one, enjoyed the article and had a good laugh. Most of it is self-deprecating humor toward our culture. You show in this comment section how to address criticism well. Seriously replies when appropriate. Just enough humor to cool the heat without crossing into caustic sarcasm. Thanks!

20. Veronica Zundel says:

My current pet hate is ‘Let me pray’. I always want to say ‘No, I won’t!’

21. Walker says:

Some of these points are fair enough, but the last thing I need is more encouragement to be cynical on Sunday mornings..

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

Then don’t be. Think of this more as “feedback” for worship leaders. I would hope they’d be open to such things.

22. Kraig says:

Jared, thanks for the humorous-and-true article. Your reactions to the way-too-serious comments were funny as well. I can’t imagine what would happen if these same folks stumbled upon Babylon Bee. Good thing there’s no comment section on it! I hope God doesn’t smite those who enjoy humor and satire.

1. Tom says:

Seriously! Had the exact same thought about the Babylon Bee. Humor and satire can be misused, surely, but can be also be used as a great tool for insightful commentary and critique.

23. Tom says:

Thank you thank you thank you Jared. Ive have felt every one of these over the years but you cant’t express this for fear of being branded a complainer….how about just be humble, don’t try to excite the crowd or motivate us. Let the words and the music and the Spirit do that.

24. Raymond says:

The central problem in this entire post is this: Why is there a “worship leader” giving direction to the congregation. I know this is the “cool/hip/contemporary” thing to do but where does this originate in Scripture?
    What does the Pastor do? This represents the fundamental flaw in evangelical worship today, and results in the silly remarks that Jared Wilson describes as things he wishes “worship leaders” would stop saying. Until there is a reformational restructuring of worship, this type of article will continue to be written and these absurd statements will continue to be spoken. Transform the worship from a DJ-lead gathering to a true worship service in which the people interact with God through the liturgy and then we will not hear these empty and banal remarks spoken off the cuff.

1. Matthew says:

Raymond, you’re totally right, but I don’t think there is a need for a “reformational restructuring of worship”… at least not by way of each individual congregation reforming. There are forms of worship being practiced today that still follow, at least in basic structure, the OT Jewish model- which the Apostles would have been familiar with and introduced into the NT Church. The interesting thing is, if we read according to how the Apostles would have understood worship, the NT Scriptures do give a lot of hints as to how to “worship and have church”.

2. Kevin says:

Raymond, I don’t disagree with your desire to see the congregation worship God through the liturgy, but that does not do away with worship leaders. The liturgy still needs to be designed and executed by persons, who, at least in a broad sense, are worship leaders. Elders, pastors… these are the people Christ has called to lead His church in worship. So, there will always be a need to critique and seek to improve the way in which the church worships.

25. Caleb Roberts says:

Or better yet, just ditch the hopelessly performance-based and entertainment-driven “praise band” model and commit your worship to an historic liturgy.

1. Caleb Roberts says:

Don’t mean to needlessly troll, here, but merely to point out that many of these points seem to proceed rather organically from the basic form of the “praise band” model. They are not unfortunate aberrations, in my experience.

26. T Moore says:

Oh look, TGC has now reached tabloid click-bait status. Congratulations.

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

Thanks! Is there a reward?

1. T Moore says:

Yes, but it’s not mine to give. By the way, I don’t necessarily disagree with most of your points. And, yes, I have a sense of humor. And, yes, I’ve read – but try to avoid – Babylon Bee. It’s just that in the past I’ve held TGC in a little higher regard than other “Christian” sites that are little more than gossip columns. I think your blog post was completely appropriate on your blog site, but I don’t see how it has anything to do with the Gospel or any kind of coalition.

27. Matthew says:

I totally get these problems. It used to drive me nuts… I became an Orthodox Christian about a year ago and these problems are quickly fading into the past as the marks of an immature worship. I don’t say that to sound condescending, but the fact is, these are just completely unheard of in my new church. The problem simply does not exist due to the fact that our worship is very structrued and was formed by the some of the greatest fathers of the Church. It is very freeing to be able to come to church and join myself to an ancient, deep, meaningful worship without having to deal with all this ridiculousness… and yes, it can be powerfully emotional at times.

1. Nick says:

As an orthodox Christian you may not have those problems with worship any longer. But you have a whole new set of problems. Idolatry & violating the second commandment being two of them.

1. Matthew says:

Nick, Have you ever been to an Orthodox church, read any Orthodox books, or talked to anyone who was a practicing Orthodox Christian? If you cannot say yes to all of those- or at the very least- one of them, you should learn to phrase your comments in the form of questions rather than judgments about a person’s faith you do not understand. I am not trying to be disrespectful, and not saying you don’t understand your own faith, nor am I angered by your comment. I completely understand because I grew up a committed Evangelical and was trained under a solid Evangelical seminary. I was moving towards the Reformed tradition in the last years before becoming Orthodox (which is how I ended up on TGC) I don’t say this to brag because I really have nothing to brag about… but trust me, I understand.
        However, one day I decided to start asking questions (my own, not questions my professors or pastors led me to ask) and this is where it led me. I did not make a rash decision based on emotionalism or one sided thinking, but I labored over the theology and all of my Scriptural and doctrinal arguments against it for 3 or 4 years. Peace.

28. PAnn Brown says:

Amen to no.6! More doctrinally sound and spiritual worship songs please!

29. James Karl Hernandez says:

I disagree on number 4 because in revelation the Lord is knocking but he will only enter if we invite Him. That is very different. Also about the “God showed up”. Some have emotional but there is instances that the presence of God is really there. Like in 2 chronicles where the priests cannot perform their duty because the glory and presence of God is there. I think thats all. The rest is yes, but sometimes it differs from culture.

30. Rudy says:

These top 10 are insightful and well worth considering. I would have written them more strongly. While I also recognize that there are cultural variations and expressions, what is going on in general in Western CCM and how it has been adopted into the Sunday morning service needs to be rethought and redone. As should the service/meeting itself…

31. Anne says:

A variation on #7 is when the worship leader or even the pastor opens the service with a “Good morning!” and then makes the “audience” try over and over until they respond with enough enthusiasm to satisfy the leader. Usually awkward and relieved giggles are heard from the folks when the leader is finally satisfied.

Also, a pet peeve of mine is when it is obvious that the worship leader and the pastor have not conferred beforehand on the sermon theme. I remember once our pastor was doing a series on the attributes on God and after a particular rousing sermon on the one of the “mightier” attributes, we closed with Gentle Shepherd. I attend a small church and take my turn playing piano along with other lay workers who play and lead music. Once, as I was returning my music folder to the workroom after the service, I actually witnessed a young girl picking out the next week’s songs for her father who would be leading the next week. “I like these.” “OK, sounds good.”

32. M says:

Hi Jared!

RE: #4
    Seeking the Lord this morning, happen to be reading Luke 11:13, so thought to pass along-

“…how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?”

footnote-The provision of the Holy spirit is probably a reference to the wisdom and guidance supplied in response to repeated requests. -NET Bible

I must confess, I got a good chuckle out some of your humourous responses. And I think this is why-criticisms certainly come; sometimes those that do not seem to have any sort of redemptive purpose or questioning-and I have too often taken those to heart. So your way of dealing with those things, in humor, seemed a possible path.
    But then I thought of,
    “When slandered…we answer kindly…”
    And I came to think, that perhaps there is more at stake in a heart than my limited sight sees. That is, I may not be able to see clearly the need of that heart and it’s cry. And so, we answer kindly, in hopes of redemption.
    Trying to walk this out-
    much love,
    in Christ,
    Martha

33. Mary says:

Sometimes it is good to have each of these 10 things. Sometimes all of them. Sometimes none of them. I have been either on a worship team or leading a worship team for too many years to count now. All I can say is that there must be balance in all things, I.e., the type of song, the style of music, etc., but when leading, you must follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit. Maybe you don’t like hearing these phrases, but maybe the new by next to you needs to know it’s ok to have fun in the presence of God. Clapping may have been a taboo thing where they grew up, it’s ok to acknowledge your appreciation of God and what He has done in your life. If you are so put off by what the worship leader is saying or doing, perhaps you are the one not focused on worshipping the Lord. Before you get upset at that, let me try to explain. I have perfect pitch. My sister is tone deaf. I used to hate sitting next to her at church because her monotone singing was so distracting to me. When I told our Mom how I felt and thought, she set me straight. She said, “The Bible says to make a joyful noise. It doesn’t say it has to be perfect according to you. Change your focus.” After that I loved sitting next to her when we sang. I changed my focus from what I thought was annoying and distracting to actually worshipping the Lord. Give it a try!

34. Gavin Croft says:

So much anger and hostility. Goodness gracious. Thankful that my little traditional church full of senior citizens does not have this particular problem. You people are obviously the ones Jared argues with throughout “Prodigal Church.”

35. Will Haddock says:

Why should we be anymore impressed with the credentials of the writer than he is with worship leaders?

36. April Walker says:

This article is very ironic. Your point was to address how worship leaders need to get over themselves and focus on God but you are focusing on the little details of worship instead of God. None of these things matter. This is your personal preference and perspective. Yes, some of the actions/sayings from worship leaders are overused and given in poor timing but to criticize them for their excitement and joy in their profession simply because your heart can’t see past personal annoyance to worship on your own is not Christ like at all. We are accountable for our own faith and calling to the throne. If someone’s style of worship bothers you this bad then you probably have a ‘heart’ problem. The leaders job is not to entertain you, but worship along side you. Just because you aren’t excited to be there doesn’t mean the rest of the world is as depressing in their faith. I do have fun worshipping my Savior. I do appreciate a leader pushing me to focus on why I am there with lines that are encouraging and motivating. I can see past my own judgements and worship with others. This thought process is exactly why the church has so many turn away. No one is the same, no one is perfect and for some reason Christians think it is their job to nit-pick every detail of the method of religion. Does it really matter? Is that really the calling you have? To trash talk people that serve the kingdom? Regardless of how skilled you are, humility is a much better representation of the God we serve. My God is bigger than a couple of cliche statements given by worship leaders. He can still be glorified even after a blog post mocking the methods in which worship wasn’t up to your standards. Instead of being someone that sits back finger pointing, how about providing something that honors the God we serve. If your goal is to make introverts feel at ease then offer solutions. If we continue to bash the people actually trying eventually we will all give up. Now every person that reads this that struggles with worshipping due to volume levels, a chair out of place, wrong song choice (because it’s not their fave), lighting, etc. will continue to blame others as the reason they choose not to worship. As a worship leader you should know how heavy the opinions of worship can be. This is such a spoiled mentality. We are called to worship in all circumstances, even when a worship leader asks you how you are doing today. I’m sorry for the sarcasm but your tone in the article was demeaning and encouraged the wrong perspective of the purpose of church.

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

April, can I ask why your comment doesn’t also apply to your criticism of my post? Why aren’t you able to look past it?

I think if you had read it in the spirit in which it was actually presented, you would see that it is good-natured, constructive, a touch tongue-in-cheek, but also very much asking that worship leaders help congregations “get over themselves” and be able to focus more on the exaltation of God. If you think criticism is simply “bashing,” I must ask why you feel the need to bash me.

1. Derek Brown says:

Glass houses mate….. Glass houses…

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

I prefer little pink houses, for you and me.

2. OneBoanerges says:

Some of us get and agree with you Jared. My two cents – most folk want to add an eleventh commandment “thou shalt be nice.”

1. April Walker says:

The ultimate calling as a Christian is to love others. Being “nice” falls under that category. I didn’t say I do not agree with him. I said I don’t agree with his method of delivery.

3. April Walker says:

Your post was written in a light to receive criticism. The comment section alone implies that its open for critique. Worship leaders didn’t seek the criticism you are offering. Nor did it seem constructive. It’s not that I don’t agree with what you are saying. I do. I just think the tone of how it was written was for publicity value instead of accomplishing something productive. This is a touchy subject. You even said so yourself. A written article on the subject doesn’t accomplish anything other than stir the pot. I don’t feel the need to ‘bash’ you, I feel the need to offer some defense to those that are trying. Motivation is always a better tool than tearing someone down. I apologize if I read your post wrong. Christians are our own worst enemy, always bickering about things that don’t matter. If the stigma influenced my process of the article please forgive me.

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

Worship leaders didn’t seek the criticism you are offering.

Except somehow they got here. I didn’t mail this blog post to them. ;-)

37. OneBoanerges says:

There is one more I’d like to add, the phrase varies but it’s usually – ”Lets kick the devil in the face” or ”Tell the devil _______”

38. OneBoanerges says:

I think what Jared is trying to say is that worship “sayings” have become formulaic and hyperbole. None of those sayings seem to revere the holiness of God but rather “rock-out” the way secular concert goers do.

Do we not understand the Holiness of The LORD? We can not even see His face, Moses had to take off His shoes in His presence.

The point I take from Jared is we are to worship the Divine Creator with joy, reverence, and humility – not hype. The LORD doesn’t need a catch phrase.

39. Tedd says:

I shared this piece on FB. But I don’t find it even close to amusing. I am weary of the variations on these themes. We are told to sing louder. We are told what the next line is even when we know it and it is on the screen. We are told to make it a prayer. We are told to sing the next verse with another singer on stage.

In one song, I counted 27 times the worship leader (using the church’s title) inserted something. Pump up the congregation. Get the excitement up. Why can’t we simply sing? I am never allowed to enter into the songs any more. Adrenalin is not evidence of the Holy Spirit’s presence.

One church I was at even had little arrows in the corner of the screen to tell us when to sing louder or softer (up or down).

Please let us sing…

40. Julie G. says:

Having worked in a large church for over 13 years as well as serving in various ministries for many years (pregnancy center, marriage ministry, and outreach) i understand what it is like to feel unappreciated by those you are ministering to, not only unappreciated but fully taken for granted. It can be very discouraging and frustrating. Christians can be an ungrateful group and often their attitudes/apathy/immaturity can sting the most because they are supposed to know better, right? I have been there and what i have learned many times over is that this is what i am called to do, serve a bunch of stiffed neck people who can be cold and heartless at times. I recognize them so well because i am one of them. Every time i would get angry or frustrated in my service to Christians the Lord would remind me that he did not call me to serve so people would love me, thank me, esteem me, or any of other acts of praise and adoration that i would have liked. He called me to serve his people and accept that most of the time it is a thankless job, not always, but when it would happen it would be really discouraging and make me want to give up serving. It became a cycle for a while until i realized that i am called to do what Jesus did, love and serve others without needing thanks, positive feedback or any kind of appreciation. Just like Jesus. He was taken for granted and not appreciated but still served and loved people. I am not perfect, people still get under my skin, and i am still shocked at the lack of basic manners that many display, but i am still in awe that the Lord would use me and allow me to serve Him and others. It has changed my life and transformed my faith and who i am in Christ. I do not say this to judge anyone, this is just what came to mind when i read some of the angry replies to this article. I will be more mindful to make sure i am giving proper response, respect, and encouragement to those who serve me.
    As far as this article, thank you Jared. I for one love these types of articles that cause me to examine myself, what i do and why i do it. I did not think you were in any way bashing. What i got out of this was that we often do or say things that are mindless. It is really easy to fall back on speaking “Christanese” instead of putting more thought and effort into what we are communicating or rather what we should be communicating.
    Thanks to all who give of their lives to serve the body of Christ, keep doing what you are doing because it does make a difference to most, they just don’t always take the time to say it does. :)

41. J. Vinson says:

I for one enjoyed the post. Surely, worship leaders at not such little hot house violets that they cannot read the perspective of a worshipper without falling apart. I am married to a pastor, and he and I both enjoy reading critiques of pastors. Most we laugh off, and some give a perspective about how certain things are perceived that we may have never considered. There are certain things that many modern pastors do and say that grate on my nerves. For example, my husband knows that if he ever calls me his, ‘smokin hot wife,’ from the pulpit I will fling a hymnal at him.

42. Heather says:

I find all of these very true. Everyone should feel like they can worship in their own way, as it’s personal between you and God. For instance my way if truly worshipping is to go the mountains close to where I live and just spend my time revelling in God’s nature by myself. This is where I can fully open myself up and be honest in my relationship with God. However I would never expect other people to feel comfortable doing the same thing. Just as I feel uncomfortable and awkward it loud service. I have actually walked out of my church once or twice because I found the ‘worship’ that morning was causing me to become andry, frustrated and to sin. So I left, found a quite part of the garden and immersed myself in God. It was one of those times that I felt God sitting with me, alone in a garden frustrated and desperate to stop feeling like I had a problem because church worship overwhelmed me. And not in a good way.

43. Tim Canosa says:

Jared, fun post. Can I push for not using the term ‘worship leader’ when you more clearly mean song leader or music leader. For many, worship as a term is already being narrowed to experiential singing. Language is important as I’m sure you agree.

44. lato says:

Why can’t worship leaders stand up, read a couple of verses of Scripture, and tell what song we are singing?

This list is actually really good. It’s reflective of an attempt to turn worship into a show. If God is in it, we can read the Scripture and sing and pray without all this other stuff.

45. Nicolene Wildervanck says:

I won’t go to the kind of church where singing is like what this article describes.

46. Maegan says:

I grew up in Southeast Asia; my family was part of a small house church, with one guy playing his guitar leading us in hymns. I moved to a southern town after graduating high school and joined a large Southern Baprist church. Worship time was definitely the most stressful time of the service for me; I would often come late just to miss most of it. Happy to be part of a smaller congregation again! Enjoyed the post, made me laugh

47. Winnie says:

Thank you. I really appreciated your post. :) I am a worship leader too and I benefitted from your reminders. Heading over to your worship leaders “to-do” post now.

48. Andrew L says:

Sorry Jared, but you were never going to come out of this well. The modern “worship” culture is too ingrained & self-interested to seriously consider if you might actually be right. It seeks only to justify the continuance of their industry. For those hiding behind the idea of cultural relevance, our Western culture is libertarian, consumer-driven, materialistic & egocentric – & that is exactly what we have imbibed into our modern “worship” practices & ideology. Our so-called worship is generally vacuous, trite, disrespectful, & utterly disposable. We have substituted reverence & awe in the presence of the Creator of the universe for a second-rate pop experience. Prayer & scripture have been reduced to glib conjunctives between the really important elements of the church service – the trendy music. The sermons are even truncated to allow for interminable brackets of musically repetitive & confusingly choreographed songs – most of dubious spiritual value at best & many downright heretical. And we call this worship?? It must surely grieve the Lord, not please Him. “Worship pastor”??? There is no such thing!! It is a contrived position with absolutely no Biblical precedent & merely serves to convince us that we are “worshipping”. No wonder the Christian church in the West is dying!

49. Sue Mitchell says:

I am NOT a worship leader and have not been in a “band”. I am merely a worshipper and I have to say that many of the points made by Jared struck a chord as things that irritate me.
    #10 I’ve thankfully only been to ONE church which began the “service” like this. It was awful! The lights went out, the audience (I cannot call them a congregation) then ran to the front and started clapping their hands and cheering and then the band ran on stage. The glory all seemed to be directed to the band and not to God.
    #9 Why would I answer this? I mean seriously… does the worship leader want us to tell him? Imagine 120 people all trying to say how they feel that particular day.
    #8 Maybe we “could do better” but maybe it’s because we’re not in the right place and somehow we need to realise this individually. A church where everyone comes to worship God and be focussed will still not always make a lot of noise, sometimes we just want to sit quietly and meditate
    #7 LOL yes, sometimes the music IS too loud!
    #6 I love it when we sing the old hymns! The words can often be far more reflective/challenging/provocative and a good rousing (or meditative) rendition they can be brilliant. I am grateful I have never been in a church where they relegate the old songs to the dustpile!
    #5 Thankfully never heard this either!
    #4 I agree with this one. I understand the sentiment behind the statement but I think it’s the word “invite” that annoys me. We are reminded to daily ask the Holy Spirit to fill us up, to dwell in us etc but an invitation implies God may only enter at our request. Just change the wording.
    #3 aaaargh! God doesn’t show up! We just fail to acknowledge his presence!
    #2 I much prefer the comment of another “Let’s give God praise”. We are pretty restrained here in the UK and even clapping in church (and I go to a “lively” church) is often restrained.
    #1 Please don’t ask me to do this! I invariably sit next to my husband or friends, I don’t need encouragement to speak to them. If I am next to someone I don’t know I am too shy to speak the first word and worry that my responses are weak. Often I hear this when there is a blip with the technology. It becomes a gap filler.

I found this article light and have to admit I was saddened by some of the vitriolic comments. I read this article as some gentle advice that perhaps worship leaders should think before they speak. A lot of these phrases are handed out so readily. I’m glad that very few are used in our church most I have observed at conferences and/or on tv. Who’s to blame here? Should there BE any blame?
    Worship leaders are there to lead us to worship, nothing more, nothing less. It is up to us as individuals to follow them into giving glory to God.

50. Comfort says:

We created this phrase “worship leader”. That’s why every one has an opinion that can’t be backed by scriptures. This was a Levitical assignment in the OT. Interestingly I can’t seem to find any record of a “worship leader” in the NT. The word has come: my dear music leaders; examine yourself if you lead in any form of singing in the Church. Have you heard of the secular saying that the “truth is bitter” before? We need such soul searching articles like this to shape us Christians up. You’re offended by this post? Was our Lord celebrated while on earth?Read your bible if you are actually leading in worship. Christ said offenses must surely come. Again Paul said be careful if you say you are standing lest you fall. 1 Cor 10:12 “Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.” I tell you, you should ask yourself why you are upset with this post if it is God’s work you are doing. “Didn’t our heart prick us” was the statement of the disciples on their way to Emmaus after encountering Christ. Is your heart pricking you about this post? Ask Him if you’re doing what gives Him pleasure earnestly and He will answer you. That’s what you need not my pacifying words. Be concerned about what THE PERSON that called you is saying about your service. Beyonce can do church song and have the whole church on their feet. That does not mean God is there. Perfect keynotes and a manicured atmosphere that’s all it is. Music leaders have more work to do in church than just getting key notes right. Like I said anyone from the secular industry is perfect at that. Let’s know and see the difference. Thanks

51. Jonathan says:

I made the mistake of having these comments emailed to me. I thought I might get some interaction with a question I posed. I’ve gotten a good 75 emails and not really much interaction! My question, again, is…what is the difference between “inviting” God’s presence into the worship gathering and starting the service with an invocation? The only difference I can see is new lingo vs. older tradition. And it seems the new lingo is being frowned upon simply because it isn’t in the same packaging as the more accepted tradition. Further, to the idea that God’s “already there,” well…then why pray (as Jesus did) for God’s will to be done? Won’t it obviously be done? Yet that type of prayer shows an agreement of purpose and a submission and a desire for God. I would submit the same is true of “inviting” God into the worship gathering. I formally submit a request that item #4 get taken off the list, whereby this column would more properly conform to the Gospel Coalition’s well-established tradition of creating a list of “Nine Things…” :)

52. Mel says:

In regards to #1 my church has acknowledged it as being the least popular amoung church goers. Then says “we’re going to do it anyway”.
    UGH

53. JK says:

Ask yourself one question, would Jesus have a back up band?? The cost of all that worldly accoutrement would feed and cloth the needy. I walk into many small churches to find a sound board, the preacher is no more than 50 feet away and is wearing a wireless mic, there are video equipment set up and a of coarse, the required big screen behind them, all high lighted by stage lights.

54. JBug says:

Every church should just be who they are. Be real and believeable. If you come across as not genuine, the folks in the congregation will know. Every church has its own personality. The most important thing is our hearts before the Lord. Unless a Worship Leader is totally out of line, they should just be sensitive to the audience and God. Don’t be something you are not. A truly repentant, humble, leader should just be a servant. If a person in the congregation is a complainer, it is their problem. If they don’t like a Worship style, go to a different church.

55. LeeM says:

I can’t help but think that part of the problem is that we have turned the Church worship time as if it were a big top circus with performers doing their best to entertain the unbelievers who might stumble through the doors or were invited. I think we ought to re-think this one. I don’t see the scriptural mandate nor example of inviting unbelievers to our worship services nor in using it as an evangelism platform. It is tantamount to inviting wolves in with the sheep. Instead, The worship and other related ministries should be a place to worship the Lord, be equipped, encouraged, and built up in maturity as mature sheep which then go out into the world and convert wolves into sheep via the Gospel. Then we bring the new lambs into our fold, train and equip them to do the work of the ministry so they can go out and proclaim the Gospel in like manner, thus constantly adding to our body more and more sheep and building a strong flock. Instead our worship seems to have degraded into entertainment, performance, and shallow theology, where few are being turned into mature sheep.

56. John Vogel says:

I read this with the mindset not to take it too seriously (which I didn’t), but I would have to say I disagreed with a few of your points. I won’t point out all my disagreements, as it’s just opinion, as is this article. One point that I would like to touch upon is #4 Lord we invite you to be here.

Of course the Lord is already here, but that’s not the point. Often the worship team and the congregation get so caught up in the songs and such that they really forgot who the guest of honor is. By saying “Lord we invite you to be here” or “Lord we ask you to come fill us with your presence” it is more of an acknowledgement of the Lord. An analogy would be if you were invited to a gathering as the guest of honor and all of the people were making speeches, singing songs, etc. while you stood in the corner. Sure the songs might be about your qualities, might be celebrating your achievements, etc., but would you really feel “invited” if nobody even acknowledged YOU or asked you to come be in their presences, come take the center stage… I hope you see the point I’m trying to make here. We invite the Lord, not because we think the Lord is not there, but because we want the Lord to be center stage (so to speak), and remind the congregation of WHY we are singing and dancing and “having fun”.

I’m not really going to touch on the other points, but to say, though I don’t completely agree with your article I found it at entertaining and it did provide some food for thought. Now, I’m going to read your other article on what you love… God Bless and Keep you in Christ Jesus!

57. Chris Smith says:

These blog titles are major click sit! Ten worship songs that I hates and ad infinitum. However, those of us charged with leading the musical worship in our local churches should be open to thoughtful critiques and possess the ability to laugh at our own tendencies. Being well-intentioned doesn’t mean we can’t be held accountable to what is biblical and helpful.

Jared, I’m looking forward to the more positive approach you plan to bring. A lot of worship leaders don’t have someone willing to mentor them in theology of worship, pastoral care, etc.

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

Chris, thanks. The “positive” post is already up and can be found here: https://blogs.thegospelcoalition.org/gospeldrivenchurch/2016/08/19/top-10-things-i-love-that-worship-leaders-do/

58. Timothy Joseph says:

Jared,
    Whether I agree or not with your post should not be the focus of a reply. ALL leaders in the body of Christ are called to be humble and gentle. These require hearing those within the body, even those who disagree. One of the surest signs of a lack of humility is to be offended at others concerns. Worship Leader, Pastor or Elder, if these critiques or any others raises your ire I would suggest that you throw yourself on your face and ask God to humble your heart.
    Thank you for your call for leaders to insure they elevate Jesus!
    Tim

59. Ben Pakula says:

I wish we’d stop calling them ‘worship leaders’.

60. Ha, so good! I’d humbly submit that these are not worship leaders. They are in fact song leaders within the worship context. I can say that because it happens to be my day job!

61. Diana Blythe says:

I found the link to another article at the end more helpful: Top 10 Things I Love That Worship Leaders Do. As an introvert, I reluctantly started worship leading in my church almost 30 years ago as a fairly new Christian after strong encouragement from others, where noone teaches a worship leader what to say or not say. The scariest thing to do is not the song leading but the talking in between songs. Silence is awkward, reading a Bible verse related to the song sounds easy and while prayers are genuinely uttered, our shaking knees and voices can make our short prayers come across as unjoyful. What I would like to see and hear more of is grace from the congregation. It is very easy to throw stones at people out the front, assuming they are there for their own egos, but since we are not God and cannot read each other’s motives, we can’t judge. I think one of the most godly things we can do in the congregation is choose to worship God despite the music and musicians. It is impossible to please everybody and therefore to each silently pray before we sing, “God help me to praise You with these words of this song, even though I might not like this song or this music or what the worship leader just said” puts our hearts in the right place. I’ve prayed that prayer myself and ended up in tears, moved by the words of the song even though I’d groaned inwardly at the start because I was so tired of the actual song. I think if we criticised the Bible readers and prayers and Communion deliverers, and announcement deliverers as much as we whinge about music in church, we’d have no one willing to serve out the front at all except paid staff. A sad community of believers that would be.

62. Jonathan Turner says:

If you don’t like what worship leaders say, being the director of content strategy for midwestern, maybe you can suggest better content? I am not now a worship leader. I once was. Everyone has their way of communicating with the congregation during worship. Not everyone likes it. May I suggest trying to focus less on the entertainment attributes of worship, and focus on Christ. How are you engaged in worship if you are taking time out to judge the worship team? Focus on giving God your undivided attention. It’ll be difficult at first. But you can do it.

63. Jared,
    I whole-heartedly agree with you. Also, my husband just resigned from our church here in Oregon. It wasn’t what we wanted and we don’t know what exactly God is doing or has planned but we trust Him. This happening in our lives seems very off script and yet we are so eagerly looking forward to what God has for us. Anywho, I was blog-hopping this evening between DesiringGod and Challies and came upon your article. I have three young children. As I mentioned, my husband just resigned. There’s a lot going on. Reading this comment line was complete therapy. Thank you for your honest humor. SERIOUSLY. p.s. My husband and I were able to sit and listen to you teach a couple of years ago in Seaside, Oregon. God used you to grow and encourage us in our love for Jesus. Blessings––

64. Jared C. Wilson says:

Thanks everybody for the comments. I am going to go ahead and close the commenting on this post, mainly b/c I’m going to be unable this week to spend much time checking the moderation. In the meantime, if you haven’t read the follow-up, here it is: https://blogs.thegospelcoalition.org/gospeldrivenchurch/2016/08/19/top-10-things-i-love-that-worship-leaders-do/

Jared C. Wilson photo

Jared C. Wilson

Jared C. Wilson is the Director of Content Strategy for Midwestern Seminary, managing editor of For The Church, director of The Pastoral Training Center at Liberty Baptist Church, and author of more than ten books, including Gospel Wakefulness, The Pastor’s Justification, and The Prodigal Church. You can follow him on Twitter.

Jared C. Wilson's Books