Brit Hume, the Washington managing editor at Fox News and one of the best in the business, is retiring from his position. Starting in 2009 he’ll become senior political analyst and work 100 days in the year.

When public figures retire at the top of their game they often cite wanting to spend more time with their family. And that’s the case here. But Hume offers an additional reason–one rarely cited in these situations:

I certainly want to pursue my faith more ardently than I have done. I’m not claiming it’s impossible to do when you work in this business. I was kind of a nominal Christian for the longest time. When my son died (by suicide in 1998), I came to Christ in a way that was very meaningful to me. If a person is a Christian and tries to face up to the implications of what you say you believe, it’s a pretty big thing. If you do it part time, you’re not really living it.

From another interview:

And since my son died, I have been, really, I felt rescued by God and by Christ. I have an intense desire to pursue that more ardently and have it be a bigger part of my life than it has been.

When asked how that will translate, Hume responded, “It'll translate into Bible study.”

Comments:

12 thoughts on “Brit Hume”

1. CR says:

Wow. He will be definitely missed and one of the best reporters in the business. I did not know he was a Christian.

2. Tommy Myrick says:

Praise God!

Just last week, I was impressed with Brit’s friendly and humble interaction with Shepherd Smith. What a blessing. May God bless his testimony.

3. sbynyc says:

Welcome to the Body of Christ Mr. Hume. Progressive sanctification is a wonderful, life-changing full-time process.

4. One Salient Oversight says:

Hume is one of the worst, least objective and most partisan commentators there are. That he should retire is a good thing. That he should profess being a Christian while acting in a such an unchristian way on air is a tragedy.

5. DJP says:

Hume was the best, most objective, even-handed in the business. What a role model. Hume’s grasp of the facts and ability to present both sides of news stories (as opposed to the usual hard-left MSM propaganda) earned his place in history.

If it had been in any way about objectivity and facts, he’d have moderated the debates — and a great deal more.

If only there were more like him, the MSM would deserve respect rather than contempt.

6. Stan McCullars says:

DJP,
    I concur.

7. Frank Turk says:

Praise God.

May Mr. Hume find the beauty and supremacy of Christ in the pages, and see that the point is then to take it to the world.

8. Hayden says:

One Salient,

Heed your own words :)

[One Salient Oversight] is one of the worst, least objective and most partisan [bloggers] there are. That he should retire is a good thing. That he should profess being a Christian while acting in a such an unchristian way [in the blogoshphere] is a tragedy.

9. Rob says:

one salient,

After spending a few seconds looking at your blog, I would have to say the same thing about you.

10. Reform says:

Hayden
    Ride on. I agree.

Brit Hume is one of the best and he will be missed. But the best died not too long ago, Tim Russert. Even by Hume’s own words, he was the most prepared, fair, and toughest interviewer/reporter of our generation.

I too hope that Mr. Hume finds his comfort from the pages of God’s Word. And as a result, to live his life daily in light of God’s glory. After all, the glory of God above all things is the point.

11. Grafted Branch@Restoring the Years says:

Awesome. I love it when people are bold for the Lord.

12. pointnine says:

First I’ve heard of this. I have admired Brit as a newscaster and commentator — I have seen his objectivity displayed and then seem him in the role of commentator and been stunned to see how well he can play both parts — “fair and balanced” when called for and very opinionated when appropriate.

So nice to hear a public figure speak so openly about his faith and what Christ has done for him. I’d like to find the original interview.

Justin Taylor photo