There is such value in memorizing the Word, and also in hearing whole books of the Bible recited well.

If you want to hear a model of the former and have an opportunity for the latter, here’s John Piper reciting the whole book of Philippians for his congregation during a sermon on Scripture meditation and memory:

HT: Tyler Kenney, who provides links to a couple of other examples

Comments:

15 thoughts on “Piper Reciting Paul’s Letter to the Philipppians”

1. Inspiring! I want to instill this habit with my kids.

2. Shawn says:

Wow. I love hearing sections of the Bible recited from memory, especially from someone like John Piper. For some reason, it just hits in a different way than when it’s read.

3. Nick says:

Powerful. I noticed, though, that the timing of the sound is really off in the 2nd half of the video, starting around the 8 minute mark and then progressively getting worse…

4. Evan Weeks says:

I subscribe to the Desiring God podcast, and flipped this one on while I was at work (I use my personal laptop as the “everything distraction” machine) . After a moment, I recognized the scripture and turned to pay a little more attention, and was mesmerized for the remainder of his recitation. I opened Bible Explorer in another window and followed along with him. I lost quite a few minutes of productivity watching John Piper that morning.

5. Jacob Cho says:

Wow… that was great!
    I’m reading a book called “Scripture By Heart/ Devotional for Memorizing God’s Word” By Joshua Choonmin Kang.
    All I could say is… there is power in the Word!

6. John says:

I enjoyed this. Reminded me of my Childhood of Oneness Pentecostal Preacher I knew who could quote the whole KJV Bible.

7. James says:

David Platt quoted Psalm 145-150 and Romans 1-8 at Southern Seminary and it was extremely powerful.

8. Niles says:

What an encouragement to memorize whole passages of the Word. Maybe I’ll start with Titus…

9. Chuck Beem says:

My wife has Philippians memorized- she would love this!

10. Victor says:

I recieve the Desiring God Sermon Video Podcast, and when i saw this I could not believe it that he recited the entire letter to the Philippians!!

This is amazing does anyone know how to memorize large portions of Scripture like this, or how he did this?

1. Justin Taylor says:

Victor,

Piper has used this method and recommended this resource:

11. Victor says: