Comments:

13 thoughts on “Matt Chandler on Making the Gospel Explicit, Not Assumed”

1. chris says:

Anabaptist rhetoric. “Some old man baptized you in water…” Hey Ligon, why in the world are you part of this Anabaptist stuff?

The Ten Commandments are the gospel: “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery”. The “meta-narrative” is there.

1. jarod says:

Let Ligon determine what fits his own conscience. I thought one the benefits of being reformed, as Sinclair would say, is to realize that God cannot be threatened. I am grateful for the maturity that my presby brothers exhibit when a Baptist, as I am, attend their seminary.

2. Justin Taylor says:

I think it’d be healthy not to critique every single thing you disagree with. Hold fast to what is good, reject what is wrong, but don’t feel obligated to comment on every single thing that you perceive to be in the latter category. It’s just not good for your soul, brother.

1. chris says:

Justin,
        The trouble is, Chandler publicly takes on paedo-baptists with the simple wave of his hand- a single sentence statement about what is and what is not true. Is that bad for his soul as well, maybe even for the people who listen to him?

I agree with you, hold to what is good, etc. But there is a general tendency to follow celebs, without giving much thought to what they are actually saying. I am, I would hope, doing what you suggest.

c

1. Tad says:

Your quote says nothing of paedo-baptism. It seems to me he is refering to false believers baptisms. It seems as if he is talking about rebaptising people who have been baptised after a confession but were not truly saved.
          His whole point in all of it is not paedo vs believer baptism but is concerning those who already think they are saved but are not.

1. Scott says:

Chris- It seems to me that your reading way to far into Matt’s comments on the re-baptizing statement. Coming out of a decisional-regeneration (aka walk-the-aisle, pray-the-prayer then live your life like the world b/c you made a decision years ago) camp-of which I am no longer associated with, I hear Matt addressing the issue of true conversion vs. assumed conversion thus the need for (possibly) baptizing someone again.

1. chris says:

Scott,
              “thus the need for (possibly) baptizing someone again”. This is called anabaptism.

The children he speaks of, who “grew up in the church” were never considered actual members of the church until they received baptism. But, because they walked away from the Lord and later discovered that they were missing out, Matt says the first baptism was false. No one is a member of the church apart from baptism, right? (That is an aside, but important nonetheless).

The efficacy of baptism — as understood from a particular perspective (and the basic reformed view, held by all the reformers) — is not based on the state of the person who performs it, and neither is to be withheld from the children of believers (Genesis 17:10-14). I assume that because these children grew up in the church, they most likely had parents who brought them there.

Matt’s flippant assertion is a denial of covenant succession. But, the irony lies in the fact that God is still making good on His promise, He is bringing about covenant succession, despite the Donatist teaching that they are getting from some ministers.

Yeah, this is pedantic.

2. pduggie says:

what’s with lecturers using these indistinct colorbleed backdrops. Is there a term for them in general?

1. Jason D. says:

those colored backdrops are to help keep your attention since now-a-days peoples attention spans are…. OH WOW! look at that shinny thing over there…

3. Jason D. says:

this is clear and beautiful. i love to hear the gospel

Justin Taylor photo