Hats off to Matt Chandler for tackling the subject of homosexuality with a lot of biblical wisdom and grace (audio and video below).

It’s about 1.5 hours of teaching, then 40 minutes or so of answering questions from the audience.

It seems this is increasingly becoming a difficult subject to handle well. Some pastors harp on this issue in a disproportionate, condemnatory way. Others, swinging the pendulum in the other direction, don’t want to appear insensitive or right-wing and thus avoid it altogether. So it takes courage to tackle it head-on without being a jerk.

Chandler begins by tracing the biblical storyline. In the second video, he gives some basic responses to several street-level objections, like:

1. If you’re not hurting anyone else, what’s wrong with it?
2. Since you’re a sinner, too, who are you to call out others?
3. Jesus didn’t say anything about homosexuality.
4. Some animals have same-sex relations, so if it’s in nature it must natural.
5. The homosexuality condemned by Paul is a different type of homosexuality than we see today.
6. Revisionist arguments from modern scholarship.

He also talks about the way in which he seeks to engage in dialogue with homosexuals in a gospel-centered way.

In the third video he fields questions via text message—like how parents should handle their adult kids who are gay with partners coming to visit.

You can listen to the whole audio below or download it:

Or you can watch it via video:

Comments:

23 thoughts on “Matt Chandler Seminar on Homosexuality”

1. CG says:

Pray that the Lord will continue to raise up teachers who don’t shy away from God’s holiness (and what it means for our sin) and are just as outspoken about His boundless grace (and what that means for our sin).

“The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.”
    – 1 Tim 1:15

2. Tom says:

Good words from Matt.

3. Britt Treece says:

Amazing, providential – God is sovereign. Thanks for posting this. I’m talking with someone soon who struggles with this. Couldn’t be more timely! Just checked my google reader and there it was!

4. The need for Christians to be absolutely clear on the sinfulness of homosexuality has never been more important. There is a full scale assault on this truth by the political and religious Left in this country. As you probably know, President Obama has declared June to be gay pride month, has singled out gay families as normal, and even this past father’s day included “two fathers” as a positive environment for children to be raised.

I think if we look at the idols condemned in the Old Testament and the evil fruit they could not but produce, we will see the today’s Liberalism is seeking to raise them up again in street corners, in the high places, and even in the very temple of the Lord God Almighty. Baal worship is back and not only are these idols being raised in the White House I suspect they are becoming dominant in our churches. This is the case if Christians support those who advocate such wickedness by their vote or political support. How can a Christian claim to be pro-life but support a pro-abortion absolutist like President Obama? How can a Christian claim to stand for God’s holiness, being part of the royal priesthood of God, be a temple of God, and support those who propagate the sin of homosexuality? The accommodation and compromise to idols is what explains this. Will the leaders in our churches have the strength to confront these idols as well as those who are helping raise them? I hope so.

1. Plank in my Eye says:

I guess the same could be said of all of us greedy, self-loving, sex addicted, faithless, prideful Christians who go out of our way to chase down sin but won’t cross the street to share Christ with someone.

5. Jeremiah Kim says:

Really appreciated this.

6. John says:

If its in nature, it must be natural. Sure. But it doesn’t logically follow that something natural is morally acceptable. I would point out that some species of fish eat their own young, so…

7. Michael Kimberly says:

I found what Matt had to say was good, but I find him to be totally arrogant in his approach. His constant verbal abuse of the Church and how evangelicals are stupid and backwoods really needs to stop. He acts like he thinks it’s his job to set the Church right that somehow the Church just didn’t get it until Matt Chandler came along to show us the error of our ways. His potty mouth and beer drinking mentally does nothing to promote holiness and purity. I guess Matt is just more enlightened than I am. He has been gifted with great talent, but a little humility and respect for those who came before him seems to be in order.

1. Pat says:

“I guess Matt is just more enlightened than I am.”

Maybe…

2. Andy says:

Please. Even the Puritans brewed their own beer.

I’m not saying don’t judge others, but I want to caution you that according to the measure you use, you will also be measured.

As Paul points out in Romans 14: “Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls.”

3. michelle says:

i feel like you misunderstand him a bit. my understanding is he’s not arrogant, it’s just his humour. and he JOKES about being a potty mouth/beer drinking to help people chill out a little about these issues. we have salvation by faith and freedom through Christ apart from the law.

8. Aaron says:

Great stuff!
    Shaq is only 7’1″. :)

9. Oxyborb says:

I’m going to have several blog posts refuting the things Matt said in his video. I invite all of you to come down to my blog for some respectful debate and critical thinking. It’s all in good fun. I thought he made some interesting points, and I’ll explain which on my blog, but there’s many things I’ll be refuting.

This is the first, because it was the first thing he talked about.

1. Joe says:

“It’s all in good fun.”

“Respectful debate.”

Having stop by after such a winsome invite, all I can say thanks for the suckerpunch.

10. MRS says:

His comment about slave-owners being “backwood idiots” from the South was unnecessary and a gross oversimplification – the entire country benefitted from slavery.

1. Mike Brown says:

It’s a stretch, for sure, to say that the country ultimately benefitted from slavery.

Lincoln, reflecting on the Civil War, and whether the country benefitted from slavery (from his 2nd Inaugural):

‘Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman’s two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said “the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.”‘

Justin Taylor photo