From the Crossway blog:

When we released the English Standard Version of the Bible in 2001, we immediately made it available online, for free. Eager to get the Bible into as many formats as people will read, we've released the ESV as an iPhone/iPad app, Android app, and as an eBook for your Kindle or Nook.

Prefer to listen to Scripture?  You can stream it at ESV Online. We've worked with our friends at Faith Comes By Hearing to offer several audio versions of the Bible, for free. Another set of audio files is available on YouTube.

For our technologically savvy friends, we've even made the API to our ESV Bible text and ESV audio available free of charge for non-commercial use.

Comments:

9 thoughts on “Accessing the ESV for Free: Digital and Audio”

1. Robert Warren says:

Also, for a small fee (around 20 bucks, I think), the ESV Online site will give you access to the ESV Study Bible, forever.

2. Matt Jacobs says:

Thank you, Justin and Crossway, for doing this. What a wonderful blessing!

3. Paul says:

Sorry for the off-topic, but will the Literary Study Bible be released as an eBook for Kindle, Nook etc…

4. Ted Slater says:

Paul — at this point there are no plans to release an eBook version of the Literary Study Bible. What, the ESV and ESV Study Bible are not sufficient to meet all your Scriptural needs? ;-)

Ted.

5. Ted Slater says:

Paul — Ah, I should have mentioned that the Literary Study Bible is available online:

There is a small cost, though you can try it free to 30 days.

1. Paul says:

Thanks Ted – just a fan of the LSB and would have enjoyed reading it from my kindle.

6. There are ways to get the audio downloaded without knowing any programming languages. Tools like FlashGot (a Firefox plugin) can find audio as it’s playing and download the MP3 lurking in the background. It would allow you to get the file and listen to it on an MP3 player. I like to listen to sermons while walking around outside or doing chores, and I can’t afford to pay for an expensive phone or something to keep internet access with me at all times. Since a lot of online sermons (I won’t name names, but some are quite prominent and respected evangelicals) unconscionably refuse to include a reading of the passage in their audio released online, I have to get audio of the passage itself to listen to before I listen to the sermon. This has turned out to be the easiest free way to do it, and it’s seemed morally all right since the ESV publishers seem all right with other ways of getting their audio downloaded (even if it’s not the method they explicitly endorse).

7. Jeff J says:

Justin & Crossway crew: Thank you for actively (& literally!) giving away God’s Word. I have a couple hard copies of the ESV, an ESV SB, I use the standard & SB websites, and the Android ap. All of those mean the Word is readily at hand. May God continue to powerfully use His Word in His world (including me!).

Press on!