This online resource is now, in my opinion, the easiest way to interact with the Greek text of the New Testament with advanced searches, intuitive design, parsing, interlinears, etc. It’s only $10 for lifetime access, and can do most of the things that you’d pay hundreds of dollars for elsewhere.

The price goes up to $14.99 on May 13.

You can try it for free at ESV Online, under the Content tab. Or you can purchase it at crossway.org/GRKTLS.

You can see a video introduction and some explanation below:

ESV GreekTools puts the original language of the New Testament into the hands of beginning and advanced students, as well as seasoned pastors, scholars, and laymen looking for an affordable and accessible Greek reference tool. Intuitive, easy-to-use, and fully customizable, ESV GreekTools is an online application available through the ESVBible.org platform. Now you can do serious work with the Greek text, at home or on the go, no matter your level of proficiency.

Features:

• Complete NA27 Greek text
  • ESV interlinear and reverse-interlinear renderings of the text
  • Complete data set for each word, including lexical data, contextual and morphological information (including parsings), and Strong's number.
  • Powerful search tool that lets users search by Greek word, transliterated Greek word, Strong's number, English word, or any combination of those values
  • Complete English and Greek concordances
  • Customizable interface that works seamlessly with other ESVBible.org features, including study resources and notes.

Helpful documentation and instructions can be found here.

Comments:

17 thoughts on “ESV GreekTools”

1. Ryan says:

I’m so excited about this! I am completing my 1st year of Greek and I do not have Logos software, so this is going to be a great tool to help me read my Greek wherever and whenever. Thanks for posting!

2. Pastor Carl says:

Unless I’m missing something, ESV Greek Tools is not yet available for purchase. The site says “coming soon” and gives March 2011 as a release date.

Am I mistaken?

3. Mike says:

Yes how much is it?

4. Brian Gee says:

The purchase link should now be working! ESV GreekTools is priced at a one-time fee of $10 through May 13.

5. Mike says:

Now if they can just do similar for Hebrew they’ll really have something to crow about. But this is pretty cool!

6. Mike says:

Wow this is pretty cool! I use E-Sword right now but this is a great online tool! :)

7. Justin,

I agree this is the easiest way to interact with the Greek text cheaply. Do you know if there are plans to bring this option to the iPhone esv study bible app as well?

8. Dan says:

Saw this at TGC and purchased a membership. It’s been a huge help already. I did spend about 10 minutes the other day trying to figure out why I couldn’t get it to work on a passage in Jeremiah I was studying. Then I remembered it was called GREEK Tools. As the kids like to say, fail.

9. MatthewS says:

Dan, have you seen John Dyer’s tool at http://www.biblewebapp.com/reader/ ? Depending on what you need in Hebrew, it may help. It’s got morphology, etc.

10. Nate says:

One of the problems with this tool is that once you turn it on you lose the ability to copy Scripture texts. One of the nicer things about the ESV online is their copy feature of verses. It would take you to another window and have all the verses ready to copy/paste without all the indicators, etc. that are imbedded when you are reading it. Once you turn on the Greek tools, it turns off this copy feature. Perhaps there is another way to get to the copy feature, but I have not found it. For me, the copy feature is much more valuable than the Greek tools (as I can get them elsewhere).

1. Justin Taylor says:

Nate, I’m told that this will be updated in the next version release. For the time being, people can copy and paste the Greek text via the customary “Command + C” or “Ctrl + C” command.

11. Stephen says:

Justin, I don’t know if you have ever linked it here, but it may be worth checking out mystudybible.com as well. It is technically in beta still (has been for months apparently, they’ve had a twitter feed since the fall) but the site features the HCSB and NASB. It has similar features to the ESV study bible/greek tools site, plus Hebrew! They provide decent lexical entries, though not with real parsing information, and a summary of the HCSB’s concordant translations (I guess this is an ad for how consistent the HCSB is?), as well as notes/articles from their new Study Bible and also their Dictionary, all currently free! I got hooked on ESV a couple years ago and I still prefer in most cases both the translation of the ESV and the overall functionality/UI of their site, but Holman is stepping up the ante in the Bible study world!

Justin Taylor photo