Denny Burk makes the case. His main points are outlined below. Read the whole thing for explanation and defense.
- Paul puts himself in the category of being “unmarried” in 1 Corinthians 7:8.
- The word “unmarried” translates the Greek word agamos.
- Paul uses the term agamos to refer to those who have been married but now are no longer married.
- The context of agamos in 1 Corinthians 7:8 is dominated by Paul’s instructions to those who are married or who have been married.
- The Greek word for “widower” was not in use during the Koine period.
- The word for “unmarried” appears to be the masculine word for someone who has lost a spouse.
- As a good Pharisee, it is highly unlikely that Paul would have been single his entire life.