The highlights of this conversation for me were the last two exchanges: Kevin DeYoung’s answer on gay marriage (41:30-46:12) and Jackie Hill’s answer on what is the gospel (46:14-51:15):

10 thoughts on “A Panel on Homosexuality and the Church”

1. Curt Day says:

if we want to know why many young people no longer want to listen to propositional arguments, then we need to understand postmodernism. Because what postmodernism says is if a belief leads to harming others, the belief is wrong. And thus the attempts to treat those from the LGBT community as not being equal to the rest of us disproves what we believe the Scriptures say about homosexuality. In other words, they are looking at our works instead of our words.

And though Kevin wants to present a case why gov’t should not change the definition of marriage, his definition seems to give gov’t a lot power. For if marriage is primarily about the raising of children, and gov’t should not change the definition of marriage, shouldn’t government step in to heterosexual marriages where there is a conscious effort not to have kids and demand that they have kids? And if yes, wouldn’t that give gov’t a tremendous amount of power to tell a couple to have kids? And if the gov’t shouldn’t, then what about the Church?

The same-sex marriage issue is about several things, and one of them is about how we will share society with unbelievers and with those from the LGBT community. Will we Christians share society as a superior to others, seeking a privileged position in being able to tell gov’t what laws it should pass? Or should we share society as equals and work together so that the laws protect our own equality and that of others?

2. Little Sheep says:

Singling out this sin or that sin, I don’t really understand why TGC is doing this? If we believe the scriptures then we’re going to come to terms with the fact there will always be hostility between the world & the church for God Himself has done this! It is his doing.
    “And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her seed;” Genesis 3:15

Should we also have panels for fornication, adultery, etc.? What is the scriptural basis for all this?

Let’s rejoice with those who leave behind their lifestyles because the gospel & give Him the glory for their deliverance but how are these dedicated talks on specific sins helpful?

The church should be about the business of sharing the message of the gospel, not becoming investigative reporters regarding people’s sinful pasts. You don’t see that in the New Testament!

3. Jackie Hill, sister you are a blessing. Bringing the gospel into this conversation is necessary. Well done.

4. Jessica G says:

I am thankful for these talks. This world is very confusing and its helpful to have men and women of the faith speaking directly to what the world – and sadly- many other churches- call good and right.

5. Melody says:

I really like this topic because it forces us to ask–do I know God? And if I do, how do I know this to be true? When I think about the Bible and all that it says, no human being ever to live would write these things. And if this is true, then believing and embracing and following these impossible mandates is just as supernatural. The fact that I can read the Bible, read something impossible to do and KNOW that it is true and God requires through His strength and might for me to obey tells me I am His.

So, when I read the Bible I can come at it from two angles. First, I can use the Bible as the canvas and paint my life on it (saying I am god) OR I can use my life as the canvas and allow the Bible to be painted on my life. I, by Christ’s power, choose the later.

On this topic, I know I cannot as a single woman of 48, never been married and desire to be married in a heterosexual marriage decide that God got it wrong when He said for me to be sexual moral inside and outside marriage. This morality includes sexual intercourse with someone other than my spouse. I could justify having sex with someone other than my husband by saying something like, “God never intended that I go this long without having sex. Yes, Jesus was single, but he was only single for 33 years (which was almost a lifetime in his culture; people did not live long lives then then like we do today).”

We can justify any thing we want to justify if we want it bad enough. This topic is no different than any other topic discussed in the Bible. You cannot look at homosexual relationships and see God’s glory no matter how much we may want to say they can bring glory to God because they are being true to who He created them to be. That might be a good argument except that is not how the Bible reveals how we bring Him glory, our ultimate purpose for living.

We bring God glory by obeying Him. It is not any more complicated than that. If you can say you are obeying God by being in a homosexual relationship, then we cannot talk about this topic and remain honest and true. We are either reading two totally different Bibles or you are choosing to make the Bible the canvas and you are painting your life onto it. Philosophically and theologically and even relationally I disagree. We are not God so we don’t get to be the painter. God is God and He has painted the most beautiful story on this canvas. The question remains–will we accept His story or will we reject it and write our own?

6. Delwyn X. Campbell says:

Maybe we should not think primarily in terms of defending the culture, hence we need to watch over our government to ensure that its laws reflect the will of God. At the same time, we must be prepared to risk ostracism and even an outlaw status if the government tried to compel us to walk contrary to the will of God. Marriage was ordained by God, and ultimately His definition will stand. In the present, however, just as we don’t expect the government to make laws compelling people to go to church, we should not expect the Government to understand why we may be called to confess God’s Word concerning this issue. The Gospel is not about social justice or civic equality, but about deliverance from the kingdom of darkness into the Kingdom of God’s Beloved Son.

7. Ahnjee Capanang says:

Hi. Thank you for this :) But I hope there is a manuscript of the conversation or at least there is a closed-caption for the Deaf communitities. Most of my friends are Deaf and I would like to share this message to them…

8. Jonathan Nichols says:

Justin Taylor: Thank you for posting this and allowing many more to witness this thoughtful discussion. I am so excited to meet Jackie Hill someday whether it be in this life or when we are both dancing before the Lord! Grace and peace!

9. Dave says:

WOW!!! I grew up at College Church in Wheaton where this took place and this brings joy to my heart that this conversation took place there!!! Is this posted on the College Church website? Kevin DeYoung is always Christ-centered and does a great job of expounding scripture. Pastor Moody is always challenging my understanding and causing me to grow immensely in Christ along with a heart for God. And Jackie Hill’s story is amazing, GOD is amazing in how He redeems his people by the blood of Christ for His glory. Thank you all, especially Jackie who God has transformed and is now using to reach sinners with the gospel and the church with understanding homosexuality.

10. Valerie says:

This was so helpful for me as a Christian trying to respond the way God would want. SO MANY ‘Christian’ opinions out there are not biblical and cause much damage. Jackie’s gospel presentation brought tears to my eyes. Beautiful.

Justin Taylor photo