Elisabeth Elliot (née Howard; born December 21, 1926) died this morning (June 15, 2015) at the age of 88.

She was a beautiful woman of whom the world was not worthy.

Here is her brief testimony, told in her typically understated way:

My parents were missionaries in Belgium where I was born. When I was a few months old, we came to the U.S. and lived in Germantown, not far from Philadelphia, where my father became an editor of the Sunday School Times. . . .

Our family continued to live in Philadelphia and then in New Jersey until I left home to attend Wheaton College. By that time, the family had increased to four brothers and one sister. My studies in classical Greek would one day enable me to work in the area of unwritten languages to develop a form of writing.

A year after I went to Ecuador, Jim Elliot, whom I had met at Wheaton, also entered tribal areas with the Quichua Indians. In nineteen fifty three we were married in the city of Quito and continued our work together. Jim had always hoped to have the opportunity to enter the territory of an unreached tribe. The Aucas were in that category—a fierce group whom no one had succeeded in meeting without being killed. After the discovery of their whereabouts, Jim and four other missionaries entered Auca territory. After a friendly contact with three of the tribe, they were speared to death.

Our daughter Valerie was 10 months old when Jim was killed. I continued working with the Quichua Indians when, through a remarkable providence, I met two Auca women who lived with me for one year. They were the key to my going in to live with the tribe that had killed the five missionaries. I remained there for two years.

After having worked for two years with the Aucas, I returned to the Quichua work and remained there until 1963 when Valerie and I returned to the U.S.

Since then, my life has been one of writing and speaking. It also included, in 1969, a marriage to Addison Leitch, professor of theology at Gordon Conwell Seminary in Massachusetts. He died in 1973. After his death I had two lodgers in my home. One of them married my daughter, the other one, Lars Gren, married me. Since then we have worked together.

She was the author of several books, many dealing with themes of suffering, loneliness, singleness, manhood and womanhood, and family.

Among her best-known books are those that told the story of her first husband, Jim Elliot, and their mission together in Ecuador: Through Gates of Splendor (1957), Shadow of the Almighty: The Life and Testament of Jim Elliot (1958), The Savage My Kinsman (1961), and The Journals of Jim Elliot (1978).

She also wrote a biography of Amy Carmichael (A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael) and an influential book on purity (Passion and Purity: Learning to Bring Your Love Life Under God’s Control).

As a college student, Elisabeth dabbled in poetry, and one day wrote a poem that should would look back upon as prophetic:

Perhaps some future day, Lord,
Thy strong hand will lead me to the place
Where I must stand utterly alone;
Alone, Oh gracious Lover, but for Thee.

I shall be satisfied if I can see Jesus only.
I do not know Thy plan for years to come.
My spirit finds in Thee its perfect home: sufficiency.
Lord, all my desire is before Thee now.
Lead on no matter where, no matter how,
I trust in Thee.

She made famous an anonymous poem that seems to describe her own life of perseverance, as two of her three husbands preceded her in death:

At an old English parsonage down by the sea,
there came in the twilight a message to me.
Its quaint Saxon legend deeply engraven that,
as it seems to me, teaching from heaven.

And all through the hours the quiet words ring,
like a low inspiration, ‘Do the next thing.’
Many a questioning, many a fear,
many a doubt hath its quieting here.

Moment by moment, let down from heaven,
time, opportunity, guidance are given.
Fear not tomorrow, child of the King,
trust that with Jesus, do the next thing.

Do it immediately, do it with prayer,
do it reliantly, casting all care.
Do it with reverence, tracing His hand,
who placed it before thee with earnest command.

Stayed on omnipotence, safe ‘neath His wing,
leave all resultings, do the next thing.
Looking to Jesus, ever serener,
working or suffering be thy demeanor,
in His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
the light of His countenance, be thy psalm.
Do the next thing.

68 thoughts on “Elisabeth Elliot (1926-2015)”

1. Suzanne says:

On February 10, 1995, the day after my mother was tragically killed in a car accident, I met Elisabeth Elliot. She was speaking at women’s retreat in my hometown, and I happened across an article in the Kingsport Times-News on the back page of the same section of the paper that had a small article about my mother’s accident on the front page. The article was titled “Triumph over Tragedy.” I had already been impacted by her ministry as a young Christian but knowing her story (more about her story in the link in the comments) and that she was in my little hometown the day after my mother died was so meaningful to me. That Friday evening while my entire extended family sat around and chatted about my mom, I left my house with my best friend, Kristie, and another friend, Michele , just to drive around. We ended up at the church where Elisabeth was speaking. The session was in progress, and we saw a man in the lobby at the book table. We told him the situation and that I would love a moment to speak with Elisabeth if possible. We didn’t know the man was Lars Gren, Elisabeth’s husband. After the session was over, he spoke to her and she wanted to speak with me. We ended up squashed in the back seat of Kristie’s 2-door Acura (with Michele) that barely seated 3. Mind you that I am 6’0″ tall and Elisabeth was around 5’11”. Our knees were up to our noses. She ministered to me and prayed with me the entire drive to her hotel. I knew that God was right there with me during that time immediately after Mom died, but that evening was cemented in my mind and in my heart as the moment that God cared for me very specifically by placing Elisabeth in my hometown 24 hours after my mother died. Thank you, Elisabeth for being a faithful follower of Jesus and for showing me the tangible love of God.

1. Barbara Reay says:

That was a beautiful story ..thanks for sharing it.I have admired Elizabeth for many years after hearing her speak while a student .I have listened to her tapes and have read a lot of her writings .Her admonition to “do the next thing”when dealing with grief, helped me through many difficult times.God bless you.

2. Brenda H. says:

In the day of such doubt, this woman holds a standard higher then most anyone else. When it came to personal, real relationships with God, she and her husband were the real deal! If one is searching for the meaning of life, this might be a good place to start. The world will feel the loss of Elisabeth Elliot, but real Christians will see her in heaven.

3. Lori Johnson says:

Her work ministered to me very early in my walk, and her voice was like that of a timeless mother and sage. She will be sorely missed.

4. sarah says:

So thankful for this woman of God who so faithfully taught and served His kingdom’s purposes.

5. Rhonda says:

What a beautiful mentor in my life – especially in my early days of marriage and family. I am so thankful for her deep well of wisdom that you shared in her writings. She had a tremendous impact on my life. Well done, thou good and faithful servant of the Lord.

6. Jane says:

There are none like Elisabeth, nor will there ever be. So thankful for all she gave this world. What a reunion and rejoicing in heaven this morning.

7. Betty was my mentor! I read every thing that she published and saw her in person at least 3 times. I also have many cassette tapes. She wrote a wonderful prayer that encompasses all facets of giving oneself to Christ. I pray it every morning before I get up and have shared it with many sisters and brothers. Deep condolences to Lars knowing how much he loves her and cared for her.

8. Maureen says:

Sigh. A spiritual giant dies but this article/obit? says very little about who she was.

1. Bob says:

Exactly. And they even got her last name wrong. She is survived by her husband, Lars Gren, whose name she took when she married him.

1. Justin Taylor says:

Bob, her website was, on her radio program she said, “This is your friend Elisabeth Elliot,” and she published under the name Elisabeth Elliot.

9. Katharine says:

One of the authors who propped me up during my earliest days in Christ. THE one I most desire to copy, style-wise. Though we never met, I shall miss her.

10. Holly says:

What an amazing woman! She also wrote “A Path Through Suffering”, which really helped me grow. Praise God for her life and the Glory she brought him :-)

11. Charlene Frishman says:

I read Through The Gates of Splendor. Elizabeth writes in the epilogue that the was book was not about missionaries being slain and unreached reached but about the glory of a faithful, loving and forgiving God. This point was turning point for me. Thank you Elizabeth to your faithfulness to God. Enjoy your days in the heavenly splendor of His presence.

12. Christine Todd says:

I had the honor to meet her once. Very approachable during her speaking engagements. She advised me on an important issue I was dealing with. God used her words of advice mightily and as a result my life took a new turn. She was certainly a wonderful woman!

13. linda says:

I had the privilege of meeting Elizabeth Elliot at an event –she was real personable and someone I have always admired. She was an incredible woman of God, who has touched so many with the love and knowledge of Christ. Thank you for sharing your life with us through your books and speaking engagements.

14. Judith Anderson Jones says:

My Uncle Alfred and Aunt Martha were supposed to go as missionaries on the location that killed Jim Elliott. But at the last moment, they got a chance to go to the Congo. They had served some time with with Jim Elliott and knew him. I’ve read all of the books because of the connection. So sad – but she led a wonderful life.

15. Eleanor Hack - says:

I heard Elizabeth Elliot speak in a hotel in Durham, England and have never forgotten the impact she made upon me. I felt I was being washed all over by the Holy Spirit! She was humorous too, telling us she never expected to be married once never mind three times! She told us her first two husbands had died but Lars was still alive and well, standing at the back of the room. She was a wonderful woman of God, a woman after God’s own heart.

16. So thankful for her life as she rejoices with the Angels. We were blessed to have her.

17. D'Lorah Hurton says:

Ms. Elliott’s books blessed me as a divorced young woman 30 years ago, and through my life since!

18. Janice Ice says:

Elisabeth Elloitt taught me many wonderful truths from Gods Word and from her faithful life. My deepest sympThies to Lars and Valerie.

19. What I learned from Elisabeth Elliot and her favorite brother-in-law will stay with me for the rest of her life. Of course, Elisabeth wasn’t always serious about tough subjects like death. Her third husband, Lars Gren, loved to joke as well. His favorite that he was “Mr. Elisabeth Elliot.” Then again, Elisabeth was always known as the widow of one of the most famous American martyrs of the 20th century, Jim Elliot.

What many people don’t know is that Jim’s older brother, Bert Elliot, left for the mission field three years before Jim did. Bert and his wife, Colleen Elliot, gave their entire adult lives to serving the Lord in Peru, South America.

Among their many accomplishments, Bert and Colleen planted more than 100 churches in the Amazon jungles, Andes mountains, and coastal desert regions of Peru. On many occasions, they risked their lives.

On one occasion years ago Bert and I were walking along a jungle path when he told me, “I expect to leave Peru with a bullet in my head.” Little did we know that the Shining Path terrorists had just signed a pact with the drug lords in those very jungles.

Among other things, they put a $25,000 price tag on Bert’s head. Less than three days later they attacked the jungle town where I had left my wife, Renee, and oldest daughter Elizabeth, then not two years old. Thankfully, God spared their lives.

I quickly learned, though, that it isn’t strenuous, hard or difficult to become a martyr. It’s much, much harder to remain faithful to one’s calling for a full lifetime.

Elisabeth liked to quote Bert: “There are worse things than dying — like living in disobedience.” Wise words from two very different yet very wise individuals. Their legacy will endure well into the 21st century.

—David Sanford, Corban University,

20. Vicki says:

I first heard Elizabeth Elliot speak while attending the 1976 Urbana mssions conference for university students. I had already read most of the books that she had written by then and had been challenged to give Christ complete control of my life. Eventually, for me, this would mean serving on the mission field for over twenty-three years now. Recently, I gave my college-aged son a copy of “Shadow of the Almighty.” I know that he will enjoy the words of Jim Elliot, “Wherever you are, be all there! Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God.” I am thankful for the lives of these two servants of Jesus and their influence on my generation and the generations that followed.

21. Jonathan Riddle says:

Hard to communicate what she has meant to me and so many others. I feel profoundly sad and yet peaceful knowing she lived life to the fullest and Glorified God is everything she did. She you on the other side Betty!

22. Milddred McLaughlin Mallek says:

I went to Wheaton College with Elizabeth Howard and was also a classmate of her husband

23. Jennifer Lilly says:

Your life has been such an inspiration to many and you will be greatly missed! I can’t wait to meet you in heaven someday! I loved all your books but my favorite was “passion and purity!”

24. Leisa D. Allen says:

What an incredible life….What an incredible impact….What an incredible GOD she served. And He is still the same for us today. Hallelujah! ¨Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.¨

25. Barbara Schumann says:

So sorry for her family’s loss, but thankful for her life, her many books, and especially her radio program, Gateway to Joy. Elisabeth has taught me so much in the last 25 years, for which I will always be grateful.

26. jon parreno says:

“Through Gates of Splendour” was the fist missionary volume I’ve read as a new believer in the Philippines in the early 60’s. The Lord used this book to challenge me to go full-time ministry first with Inter-Varsity, and the then into pastoral ministry and as chaplain in the U.S. Army. I still remember the names of the five missionaries and they were my first set of heroes.. Thank You Elizabeth Elliot for your exemplary faithfulness to our Lord.

27. Leslie says:

Elisabeth reminded me daily that I was loved with an everlasting love. It became cemented in my heart and brain. In my darkest hours it has always been there…that unshakable truth that I’m loved with an everlasting love and underneath are the everlasting arms. Thank you my dear lady. May we the next generation pick of the torch you so bravely carried for us to see the way.

1. Barbara says:

Yes, she helped cement those words in my heart. “You are loved with an everlasting love, and underneath are the everlasting arms.”

28. Elisabeth Hassett says:

I am saddened to hear of this loss, but I understand she has been suffering for some time. The world has lost a giant of a woman of wisdom that I am not sure there are any who can compare. My heart is heavy with the loss of this beautiful woman, but I rejoice that she is now with her Savior.

29. Susan Harville says:

Humanly speaking, Elliot is why I came to the mission field. What a saint, scholar, writer, wife, well of wisdom. If you can find it, read A slow and certain light. And may we put her writings in the hands of our daughters, for she knew how to explain what it means to be a woman in Christ. Her death is swallowed up in life. Still, I am sitting here crying. She so influenced me as a young Christian.

30. Anita 5 says:

I so love this woman! I will never forget writing her when my husband had a massive stroke and my son was tragically killed in an auto accident. She wrote back and shared my letter on her radio show. The comfort she gave encouraged me! She took me to the passage in John 15 about the vine and the branches. She shared with me how the good vines that bore fruit were pruned to produce even more. Anita she said you will bear much fruit . Thank you Elisabeth for truth and I have held onto those words. Your life bore much fruit and I can only hope to follow your example. I will always cherish you and your dear husband Lars when you came to Baltimore to speak on numerous occasions. I love you…

31. Wayne jones says:

I have nothing but great admiration and respect for this lady, and the stories she told. I have been to the house and air strip in Shell where Jim stayed during his missions. Also got to travel down the river within a few miles of where he lost his life thanks to another missionary from Chacalco and Tena, pastor Steve. I thank God for the men and women that went before to make a way. Quichua people are very special in my heart and prayers.

32. Patricia Hinrichs says:

What an exquisite lady – know what makes you so special, Diane, my sympathies, Patti Hinrichs

33. naomi says:

i’ve heard Ms. Eliott in founder’s week at MBI. her strong voice of Godly wisdom is beautiful. have been missing her voice.

34. Dan says:

Learning of her story only a few years back and then tracking down her novel “No Graven Image” have left an eternal impact and strengthened my own spiritual life. Sorely missed here, but now in the presence of Jesus.

35. Donna Woo says:

I wish I could have heard the teachings in their entirely but they were both stopped early.

36. Bunni Casey says:

Thank you, Lord, for this life so well lived. What an encouragement her books have been to me, especially at times I have felt so alone. Elisabeth understood what hearts go through and was willing to be transparent about her own. How wonderful it will be to say ‘Thank you for your faithfulness’ in person the day I get to be reassigned to heaven.

37. Ah, my heart is sad… I remember the foreword Elisabeth wrote in her biography of Amy Carmichael. It read something like this: “Amy showed me the shape of godliness.” The same is true of Elisabeth Elliot in my life. I can’t wait to meet her in heaven!

38. Debbie and Rik Pedersen says:

What an amazing Christian lady, mother, wife, bible teacher, and radio speaker! We were so privileged to hear her speak in Omaha in the 1990’s. Such a blessing to so many people! What an example of the walk of faith!

39. Lois VanDrisse says:

I am saddened to hear of the passing of Elisabeth Elliot! I would listen to her radio program as a new christian, ‘Gateway to Joy’ all the time. I heard her speak once @ Emmaus Bible College in Iowa. I believe I have read her book Passion & purity. Loved to hear her voice on the radio, it was comforting, like a wise mother/grandmother. Had respect for her & all she had gone through…..Can’t wait to see you again on the other side, Elisabeth!

40. Sarah H says:

Ms. Elliott was truly a lovely woman whose passion for Jesus was a shining light to many. I fear, however, that in our memorial of her we might be forgetting she, too, was a human like the rest of us, and still desperately in need of a Savior. The words “…of whom the world was not worthy.” seem only fitting for Jesus himself. Let’s remember her fondly for the wonderful things she did and said, but she would want us to remember that she was only able to do them because of the great work that was done in her by Jesus himself.

1. Justin Taylor says:

I think you’re right, Sarah, that Elisabeth Elliot would want us to focus on Christ and not on her. The phrase “of whom the world is not worthy” comes from Heb 11:38, though, and is applied to fellow sinners who are now in glory.

1. pastor Abraham raj says:

I’m blessed by her wonderful testimony…

2. Lilly says:

So well said Sarah. God bless .

3. Megan says:

I’m sure Elisabeth Elliot would agree 100% with your reminder that she too needed a Savior. I like your reminder that she was only able to do a great work because of Jesus. However, “of whom the world was not worthy” is a quote from Hebrews 11:38 referencing faithful servants of God. I think Ms.Elliot would qualify!

4. Candice Gerber says:

Thank you, Sarah, well said. I appreciate what you wrote especially bringing out the point that she would want Jesus to be glorified in all that she had said and done. Jesus was the center of her life! I love Elisabeth for showing me what LOVE FOR JESUS looks like in this life.

41. Lilly says:

Sending prayers of love & comfort to Elizabeth’s family. I am saddened this great woman of God is no longer with us and yet rejoicing that she is finally face to face with Jesus, our Savior. She joins two other sisters in Christ, who were also my mentors & heroes, Corrie ten Boom and Ann Kiemel Anderson. These 3 ladies shaped my thinking and were great role models, as I read their writings carefully and as a new born again child of God, at age 21 – 23, were role models I didn’t have in my real life. What a blessing they were to my life. Once, I even wrote Elizabeth about a romantic dilema. I felt so very blessed to receive her actual handwritten response. RIP dear woman of God. We shall be reunited in Glory! ♡

42. Rose says:

My role model for years and years. Thank you for posting the messages… relevant and timeless. What a gift she has been.

43. Debra Clayton says:

As a result of listening each week to Elizabeth’s radio broadcast and newsletter many years ago I grew tremendously in the knowledge of the Scriptures and it’s application in my life as a young woman, wife and mother.
    Today as I mentor young women I am forever grateful to the Lord for creating this amazing woman as my mentor to wisely show me the way! By God’s grace, Elizabeth has left a lasting legacy for Christ and His gospel for generations to come! To God be the glory!

44. Elisabeth Elliot’s writing has been so instrumental in my growth as a believer. I was privileged to meet her while a student at Gordon College. I wrote about it in my blog this morning. So thankful for her example. She was a true treasure and gift to us from God.

45. teza beley says:

I am really blessed with the life of Elisabeth . She served God to the fullest here on earth and she is now in the perfect place with the Lord God Almighty in heaven.

46. David Lazo says:

Mis padres compraron un libro que leí de niño: Portales de Esplendor, escrito por Elizabeth Elliot. La lectura de ese maravilloso libro, impactó mi vida. De niño decidí servir a DIOS y ser un misionero. Ahora esto es una realidad. Gracias a DIOS por Elizabeth, un gran sierva del SEÑOR y por los misioneros que ofrendaron sus vidas, para que luego el evangelio de CRISTO haga un impacto en las vidas de ese grupo étnico y de miles que decidieron servir a DIOS.

47. Matt Sullivan says:

Elizabeth Elliot has always had a special place in my heart and the church I grew up in. I grew up in a Calvary Chapel, and on a few occasions she accepted an invitation to come and speak as a special occasion for the church. Her genuine godliness and wisdom brought such a refreshing atmosphere wherever she spoke. Hard to explain unless if you’ve heard her in person. My mom has one special memory of a night when she and several other women from the church spent hours listening to Elizabeth lead them in classic hymns on the grand piano at the guest home she was staying in. It’s one of her dearest memories.
    Our lives were genuinely blessed because of her. So glad to see that her memory is being honored here.

48. Edye Jackson says:

Thank you, Elisabeth, I have learned so much from you, and not least of which is to hold to Christ with steady faith amidst life’s stormy changes. Your ministry will reach to impact new generations, even while we older ones continue to gain insight from your writings and your testimonies. You were and are a beautiful servant of our Lord, thank you. Thanks be to God for your finishing well, no small thing in this day when many seek what is fashionable, comfortable, safe rather than what is true. Prayers for God’s peace to all the family (including my new friend, Mrs. Elisabeth Martin, your granddaughter).
    Indeed, death is swallowed up in victory!

49. Olaoluwa Olatona says:

….So sad right now. I know your soul is already resting in peace Elizabeth.I have never met you in person but whenever am reading your books, i alwaysfeel as if you are in the same room with me and you are the one reading the book to me.
    You are blessed elizabeth and your generation is blessed.Your books opened my eyes and sense of reasoning in so many ways that i am so grateful for,….to cut the long story short, i became a better person and a better woman reading your books.
    I am so grateful for your life and above all so grateful to God for sending a woman like you to us other women and lastly i want to thank you for listening and yielding yourself for Gods use while on earth.Rest on elizabeth till me see again.
    You have done well.

50. Karen says:

Elizabeth impacted my life greatly. I was around 10 yr old when her husband was killed, and her outpouring of love for those people when she became missionary to them. Throughout my life, I have referred back to her, in my mind and heart, and placed my goals by the testimony of her life. It’s amazing how you can touch a life, for a lifetime, without ever knowing the person. She is truly the Virtuous Woman/Woman of Valor, Prov 31. Oh, that we all could carry the legacy of love that this woman did.

51. Stephanie Martens says:

On September 25,1948 Jim Elliot wrote in his Journal: Betty, we shall behold Him face to face, much the same as you and I have looked with longing on one another these last two nights-eye to eye-and He will tell us of His love in those looks as we have never known it here ( Isa.33:17). Today this is happening for Elisabeth! Lord thank you for her life and devotion to you! She was such a help during a hard time in my life! She sent me a beautiful, encouraging letter and She said she was going to be in Knoxville soon so I could meet her. She was speaking at the church across the street where my son was killed in a motorcycle accident. I was able to meet her and she was the encouragement that I needed. God bless her life and may she still continue to be an influence for Jesus!

52. Debbie jones says:

My heart goes out to Lars Gren and her daughter and grandchildren .she will be missed I still share her DVDs on suffering and grandparenting . I’ll miss her!

53. Yona says:

“Measure thy life . . . by the wine poured forth.” A truly poured out life. One that will be remembered with the deepest of respect and gratitude. RIP in the presence of your master Master, Ma’am. Thank you.

54. Yona says:

“Measure thy life . . . by the wine poured forth.” A truly poured out life. One that will be remembered with the deepest of respect and gratitude. RIP in the presence of your Master, Ma’am. Thank you.

55. Barbara says:

I met this woman when I was 18 and thought, “She’s not the least bit warm or friendly.” But I never doubted her wisdom. I’ve since realized that friendliness is over-rated (especially for people-pleasers). I’ve learned from her many books, and even today as I sit and listen to a few of her talks, I’m reminded of her counter-cultural wisdom.

56. Kathryn Handreck says:

Elisabeth’s passing reminded me of the words in her book “A Chance to Die” – The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael, when Amy saw one of her carers for the last time she said,

‘Alison, we won’t meet again in this world. When you hear I have gone, jump for joy!’

57. B Suzanne says:

I will miss Elisabeth Elliot! Her radio broadcast and devotionals have been a blessing to me, especially while working overseas with not many other souls to fellowship with. I would pour a cup of coffee and turn on my computer to listen to her words of wisdom and rejoice together with her as she would pour out her soul.

58. sarah says:

“The world was not worthy of them…” (From Hebrews 11) So thankful for how God used her life and ministry to carry on the work He began. Her life and story are inspiring – but beyond that, her steady, calm, demeanor and wisdom were a gift and example to us all.

59. frank ascher says:

what a great story wonderfull woman

Justin Taylor photo