Over at TGC Joe Carter has a helpful FAQ, asking (and answering) the following questions:
How Presidential Nominees Are Selected
- How are presidential candidates chosen?
- How are delegates chosen?
- What is a “superdelegate”?
- How are delegates allocated among candidates?
- What the difference between a primary and a caucus?
- What is “Super Tuesday”?
- What is the “SEC Primary”?
- When are the remaining primaries and caucuses?
How the President of the United States Is Elected
- Do we vote for the President?
- Where did the Electoral College system come from?
- Who decides how many electoral votes each state receives?
- How do these electoral votes decide who becomes President?
- Who are these electors?
- Do the electors have to vote for the candidate who received the most votes in their state?
- How many electoral votes are needed to win?
- Wouldn’t relying on the popular vote be a better system?
You can read it here.