And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.” (Revelation 12:10-11).

Satan is an accuser and a deceiver. In both cases his weapons are words, which is why we must overcome him with the word of our testimony.

In other words, it is through our belief in the gospel and our confidence in the power of Jesus Christ that we can stand secure in the face of Satan's lies and accusations.  And it is by the truth of the word of God-believed on and hoped in even unto death-that we can expose and destroy the deceptions of the Deceiver.  This is how we do battle, with the sword of the Spirit which is the word of God.

So when Satan whispers, “Can God really forgive you?  Can your sins be washed away?” you can answer confidently: “There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death." (Rom. 8:1-2).

When the Devil says your situation is hopeless, when he calls you an addict and says you can’t change, you can reply: “Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.” (Rom. 8:8-9).

And when Satan suggests that it must not matter then how we live, that grace and freedom are an excuse for license, we must answer: “For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live” (Rom. 8:13).

And when our Enemy points to our suffering and says, “Look, God cannot be trusted. Surely, there is no use in serving this Master” we will inform him that we “consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us” (Rom. 8:18).

And if Satan should tempt us to believe that God is singling us out for pain, we will remind him that “the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now” (Rom. 8:22).

If he spreads the lie that our trials will be the end of us, that God can no longer help us, we will declare, “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good” (Rom. 8:28).

And when he shows us our weakness, when he points to the failures of the church, when he accuses us of having let God down and makes us doubt the power of the gospel and the ultimate triumph of the saints, when he comes at us with words and all the weapons of the world, we will stand our ground with a defiant shout: “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Rom. 8:37-39).

Satan is hell bent on destroying the church.  He breathes fiery accusations like a dragon and hisses deception like a serpent.  He is in pursuit of the woman and her children.  But the salvation and the power and the kingdom belong to God and to Christ our King.  And we shall overcome the devil, by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of our testimony.

Comments:

12 thoughts on “Precious Remedies Against Satan’s Devices”

1. Trevor M. says:

Kevin,

Are you taking these thoughts from the book “Precious Remedies Against Satan’s Devices” by Thomas Brooks?

I couldn’t help but be curious because I have been reading that book and memorizing Romans 8 for the past weeks. Excellent material. Very helpful. I think I excerpted a few quotes at my blog in the recent past: http://arguingwithangels.blogspot.com

– Trevor

2. Brandon says:

This is a genuine question: does Satan (or his demons) really go around whispering and suggesting things to us? Or were these statements meant metaphorically? I have no doubt that Satan is an accuser, but in context, this passage in Revelation suggests that he accuses the brethren “before God”, which I have understood to mean a scenario like in Job 1.

I always thought that Satan worked by influencing unbelievers and, thus, the world system through its false philosophies and opposition to the knowledge of God (Eph. 6:12; II Cor 10:5). Even Paul in his letter to the Corinthians doesn’t accuse them of falling prey to Satan’s direct suggestions (when they are making sinful choices that need correction), but instead tells them “they have the mind of Christ” (II Cor. 2:16). It would seem that if Satan has access to our minds as well as the Holy Spirit, then something seems wrong with that.

If I am wrong, I’m very interested in hearing an opposing point of view — based on God’s Word of course — that doesn’t resort to any guesses or speculation about the spiritual realm.

3. Teresa says:

But doesn’t God control and ordain Satan’s every move? Isn’t God sovereign?

4. Chrystie says:

Excellent post. I’ve loved those verses in Revelation ever since I first read them. This is an incredibly powerful post!

5. Sharee says:

And when he gets into my moods, motives and behavior I will remind him that I also have on my breastplate of Rightousness to cover my heart where those attitudes are born. And when he wants to trip me up with my feelings I will have already put on my belt of Truth so God can catch me by the back side when I start falling into the way I feel instead of the Truth of His Word. And when he causes uproar of waves around me I will look down at my feet and see that His shoes of Peace can calm the wind and the waves. And when he tries to convince me that all the Kingdom work I do is for naught and those I serve treat me like their doormat, I will remind myself that this morning during the time I spent with Him I ask for the Red Cloak of sacrifice and suffering from my shoulder to shoulder as He governs me from shoulder to shoulder. And when he says to my head, my mind, my will, my emotions that I am not fit for God’s Kingdom I will remind him that I have my Helmet of Salvation on. I ask for Gloves of Graciousness and Kindness over my hands to bless the work of my hands. With the Shield of Faith to extinguish all the fiery darts of the enemy, and the Sword of the Spirit which is God’s Word. Keeping in contact all day long with all kinds of prayer and praise to Him who is able to keep me into eternity. Amen

6. Mark Sherman says:

Thanks for the encouraging post. The Lord really used this for me today.

7. Pingback: How We Do Battle