Tis the season for denominations to get together and hash out there business. Important work, even if unbearable at times. This year I’ll be a delegate at the Reformed Church in America’s General Synod, June 21-26 at Trinity College in Palos Heights, Illinois. This is an assignment that comes up every five or six years and not one I look forward to. I appreciate your prayers.
There are a number of important issues at this year’s Synod, including:
1. Considering alternative funding models.
2. Moving to a biennial Synod.
3. Several recommendations related to the promotion of social justice.
4. Recommendations and overtures to the remove the “conscience clauses” which were instituted over 30 years ago to maintain peace and diversity on the issue of women’s ordination.
5. Several overtures calling for a renewed commitment to biblical marriage and making clear that those who perform or promote gay marriages open themselves up to church discipline.
As you are able, pray for the various denominations assembling this summer. For those following the RCA, especially the issue of homosexuality, I’ve included many pertinent links from my blog below: