Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. Revelation 22:1-3

Dear heavenly Father, I begin this day somewhat conflicted on the inside... most certainly, a good candidate for some fresh gospel-sanity. I'm very thankful to live in this country--the land where you've twice given me birth--in my mother's womb and from above. I'm very thankful that the "governing authority" you've established here (Romans 13:1-3) contains a two-party system--a democracy, even if it's a broken democracy, which allows for dialogue, debate and dissent. Selfishly, I'm very thankful I get to live in my America rather than the Apostle Paul's Rome.

That being said, Father, I need you to center and settle me this morning. As a citizen of heaven (Phil 3:20) and this country, help me know how to live and to love to your glory, in the midst of the current chaos and clamor about health care in our country. Forgive me... when I look to the horses, chariots and men of Congress, more so than to courts of heaven for my perspective and peace. It's not who's occupying the Oval Office, but Who's occupying the throne of grace that really matters.

Forgive me... when I spend more time being cynical and snide about government, rather than prayerful and engaged with the brokenhearted and the broken-bodied all around me. Health care is a good thing, a gospel thing. You are the Lord who heals (Exodus 15:26). By the wounds of your Son, Jesus, we are healed (Isa 53:5). You give gifts of healings, to and through your people (1 Cor. 12:9). A part of your kingdom agenda is the ultimate health care of the new heaven and new earth, when the leaves of the tree of life will provide healing for the nations (Rev. 22:2). Hasten that Day, Father, please, hasten that Day.

But until that Day, and in light of that Day, keep us thinking with gospel-sanity... loving with Jesus' compassion... serving with grace-full humility... and hoping with kingdom vision. So very Amen, I pray... we pray... in the name of our reigning and merciful King, Jesus.

Comments:

9 thoughts on “A Prayer About Ultimate Health Care”

1. Carrie Kraft says:

Thank you so much, for the reminder that my peace is not dependent on who is President or on laws that are passed. I was feeling angry and frustrated this morning that seemingly evil prevailed, and injustice reigned. I needed to be reminded and admonished that God is the only One who is our source of peace and that He is in control. What comfort!

2. leigh witherspoon says:

wow…what a great prayer. thank you for putting the issues in the correct perspective which is the Godly perspective! Can I just steal your closing remarks…”but until that day”, etc. that’s the best! thanks!

1. Scotty Smith says:

leigh… feel free to post any of all of this as you so desire, my sister. grace and peace… scotty

3. julie stewart says:

thank you, Scotty, very well said!

4. Anna says:

I cannot help but express my gratitude to our awesome God for your example of prayer and praise and trust in our GOD in Christ Jesus !

5. David says:

Good words–thank you. I will be reposting. Have been thinking a lot about shalom of late. Part of something I wrote not long ago.

Shalom is the Hebrew word that may best describe the intention of God for his creation. Shalom describes a proper relationship to God. Shalom “is the way things ought to be” (Plantinga 10). Often translated as peace, shalom provides insight into a biblical understanding of the concept of wellness. Shalom means much more than peace; it has a rich meaning of completeness, wholeness, harmony and fulfillment (Harris, Archer and Waltke)

Isaiah presents beautiful images of the restored shalom and blessing for God’s people and of all creation at a future time (25:6-9, 35:1-10, 49:8-13, 45:1-10, Is 60:1-22, Is 62:1-12, Is 65:1-25).

6. Bill Bobrich says:

Thank you. This is a little of what I need in this moment. I work at a hospital and have no health insurance for myself. I work in a per diem status and although I often get close to 40 hours a week they will not create a full-time position with benefits. This hit me hard tonight as I work and I am tempted to be frustrated with God because of this need. In the midst of that I have this flicker of faith that is trusting in God regardless, for blessings on the way. I think He has me in Habakkuk for a reason right now to be reminded that though I may be lacking some things in this world presently I can still rejoice in Him.