I appreciate anyone who can help my people prepare for the next sermon dud I preach! You gotta know it’s coming–and sooner than anyone wants!
So, here’s help to members of FBC and the rest of the sermon listening public. Reinke summarizes counsel from John Newton:
- Our pastor is weak and sinful, and it’s quite likely that he is already aware of this without our help.
- Our pastor carries a heavy burden for the flock, and there is nothing he wants more than to serve the souls in his church (including you).
- Our pastor benefits from our realistic expectations. We should neither puff him up as a celebrity and expect too much, nor diminish him and his gifts and expect too little.
- Our pastor needs our earnest attention and eager hearts on Sunday. How can we be surprised that we gain so little, when our hearts arrive at church so dull and easily distracted?
- Our pastor must have our prayers. We should appear at church having already prayed that God will bless the sermon and affect hearts with the gospel.
Excellent stuff. Read the entire post for the whole story.