There are two kinds of Christians.

“Sink Christians” view salvation like they would a sink. The water of salvation flows into the sink so that Christians can soak up all the benefits: eternal life, assurance in the present, strength in times of trial. Those who adopt this mindset concentrate solely on what the Bible says God has done and will do for them.

“Faucet Christians” view salvation differently. They look at the world as the sink and themselves as the faucet. The blessings of salvation flow to them in order to flow through them out to the wider world. They rightly see that the Bible describes salvation as something that God not only does for them, but also through them.

– from Holy Subversion: Allegiance to Christ in an Age of Rivals

Comments:

21 thoughts on “Are You a Sink or a Faucet Christian?”

1. Boaly says:

Absolutely Brilliantly put!

2. Bill says:

Good quote… thanks…

3. RJ says:

It seems to me that “Sink Christians” (I call them “couch potato Christians”) is more about “ME” than about Jesus Christ and the salvation He earned us, and especially the message he brought us. Why is there not anything but “Faucet Christians”?

4. I am very eager for your book to release!

5. Brian says:

Faucet Christians… I like it. It’s Paul’s message in Gal 5. At the risk of getting a little “preachy” here, consider that when some hear the term ‘charity’, they tend to think of good works done in charity. But, charity is first and fundamentally a virtue, a disposition of the will. Where do we get this disposition? It is a gift of God, through grace. And this grace comes from Christ. Most, I dare say, don’t see that “faith” in the NT is related to obedience. In fact the terms can stand in for each other. Paul says his mission is to bring about the “obedience of faith” ie. faith = obedience (Rom 1:5; 16:25ff) and in Galatians 5, he refers to “faith working through love.” Read Hebrews 5:7-9, “In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard for his godly fear. Although he was a Son, he learned obedience through what he suffered; and being made perfect he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him.”… or one could say, I submit, “…his faith grew through what he suffered… and became the source of eternal salvation to all who place their faith in him.” These are NT mentions, yet we see in Abraham in the OT the model for “faithful obedience.” Faithful obedience is how Christ transforms the face of the earth.

6. Any Mouse says:

Cool one. I’m SO going to use this

7. A great way to put it!!

8. amechi says:

Hi Brian, i’m amechi. You got that from above. Flesh and blood did not reveal that to you. You succintly nailed that one for i’ve been wrestling with a number of things especially evangelism (the way it’s usually done) and…don’t ask my spill, it’s complicated) and doing good works. Things like addressing poorverty,aids,and a host of other good philantropic deeds. And don’t get me wrong, this is for my own soul and obedience. And looking (i pray this is by faith for my physical eyes don’t see life-giving,freeing, uncondemning things) through the bible, i am observing something different from what i see amongst good,biblically-sound brethen. Not to get “preachy,” i’m leaping with joy that you have put flesh to, words, scripture, and developed very well something i’ve thought about for some time.
    If i’m not asking too much, can you email me or give your e-mail? or write again and “preach,” finish up, in detail what you started. Like good cooking, it smells reeaal goood!
    May the God of wisdom and insight continue to open your eyes as you let his word marinate in your heart and mind; as you consider his ways. And cause an obedience of faith that you may enjoy in greater amounts, his presence. It will be strength and nourishment for your obedient soul.

Blessings in Jesus’ name and looking forward to making a new friend, connecting with a brother,

amechi

NB:anwaohia@apu.edu

9. Dean says:

Very well put! Randy Alcorn illustrated this well a few years ago at Piper’s conference. He used the analogy of our being like the “Fedex guy.” Imagine a Fedex employee who picks up packages, but then keeps them all for himself. He was not given the pacakges for himself; he was given them to deliver to others. We are not blessed merely to enjoy and revel in the blessings (though we certainly are to do that), but we are blessed in order that we might be a blessing to others. The church, especially in Western culture, needs a paradigm shift. I love your “sink and faucet” analogy!

10. Some people are called to minister more to others though.

11. Marty says:

Great! I have a friend named Mark who loves this!

12. Alexandra says:

Wow!… I love it! I Never Thought of It That Way. Wonderful analogy. You know, …I am so terrified of missing The Trip–I don’t Want to be left behind here. I don’t want to be a Faucet Christian. But there are So Many Pressures within the Wourld to be otherwise.Especially if you Claim Outwardly to Love God. I just want to Cling to my Father… Without him, i am Forever Thirsty.