By Thanksgiving, radio stations will be playing Christmas music non-stop. In the weeks leading up to Christmas, our culture is immersed in the “Christmas season.”

Easter has a season, too. It doesn’t precede Easter but follows it. Traditionally, it’s the time between Easter and Pentecost (50 days).

Though every Sunday is a celebration of Christ’s resurrection, this time of year provides ample opportunity to give laser-like attention to the resurrection that empowers our Christian life.

Why do we spend a month to listening to Christmas music, but only a Sunday singing Easter music?

You might be wondering, What is Easter music? Is there such a thing? Sure! And the good news is, unlike Christmas, you don’t have to wade through all the “secular” tunes about the season. (Unless you just happen to be a fan of “Here Comes Peter Cottontail.”)

I’ve got an Easter playlist on my iPhone, and I’ll be listening to resurrection songs all through Eastertide. Don’t let the Easter season pass by. Below are some tracks to get you started.

If you have other recommendations, leave them in the comments below. I’m ready to add new songs to the playlist. Christ has risen!

My Easter Season Playlist

15. Jesus Lives - Sovereign Grace Music

16. I Will Rise - Chris Tomlin

17. The Trumpet Shall Sound - 4Him

18. For This Purpose - Graham Kendrick

19. Low In The Grave He Lay - The Hymn Makers

20. In Christ Alone (My Hope Is Found) - Adrienne Liesching & Geoff Moore

Share some of your favorites in the comments below. I’m interesting in adding more music to my Easter 2013 Playlist.

Comments:

36 thoughts on “20 Easter Songs for the Easter Season”

1. Joanna says:

All the songs on Sovereign Grace’s excellent album Risen are about Jesus resurrection and ascension http://sovereigngracemusic.bandcamp.com/album/risen

The new Hillsong track Man of Sorrows is a fantastic easter themed track. It is currently a free download at http://hillsong.com/singlepages/manofsorrows/

2. Eric says:

Was it a Morning LIke This – Sandi Patti

3. Bobby Gilles says:

I created a public “Easter” playlist on Spotify that has 40 songs for Easter (including several you listed here, Trevin). Anyone on Spotify can listen to it. Here’s the link: http://open.spotify.com/user/bobbygilles/playlist/3pTgdfrwupL493TGLCrin4

1. Rod Gomez says:

Bobby, you’re the man! I was just going to suggest that Trevin do this very thing. Thanks!

1. Bobby Gilles says:

You’re welcome, Rod!

4. Zack Stepp says:

“Death Has Lost Its Sting” from Sojourn’s 2011 album The Water and the Blood.

5. Trevin Wax says:

Thanks, all. 7:00 a.m. and I have more songs to add to my playlist! Terrific!

6. Alyssa Jones says:

“Jesus Is Alive” by Shai Linne!

7. Kelly Mikhailiuk says:

Jeff Bourque, “Awake, O Sleeper” (http://congregationalsongs.com/2010/09/new-music-tuesday-awake-o-sleeper/). It’s not on iTunes (sorry), but there’s a link to the mp3 on Jeff’s page.

And here’s one on the hope of future resurrection and Christ’s final victory: Ben Shive, “Rise Up” (http://amzn.com/B001CBG492).

8. Korbet Swope says:

‘He Rose’ – Deluge

‘Unfailing Love’ – Jonathan Stockstill

9. Keith Kraska says:

He’s Alive by Don Francisco

10. Katie says:

Death in His Grave by John Mark McMillan is among my favorite Easter songs, and it’s not nearly as well-known as it deserves to be! http://youtu.be/IIQYq4svYwU

1. Jason says:

Glad someone posted this song–no Easter playlist is complete without it!

11. It is finished Matt Papa. First year hearing it. Great song! http://youtu.be/2LyKwgYhP6I

12. Henry Durand says:

Arise – by Newsong. I cannot listen to this without crying…

13. Todd Benkert says:

How about “Alive, Forever, Amen” by Travis Cottrell — one of my favorites

14. Daniel says:

David Crowder’s version of “Because He Lives.”

15. Elliot says:

“Who Will Roll Away the Stone?” by Ordinary Time.

16. Dan Glover says:

Mark Heard’s version of “I Know that My Redeemer Lives”.

17. Melody says:

Jesus Paid It All

18. Gary Ware says:

Zac Hick’s version of John Bell’s The Word Of Life (In A Byre Near Bethlehem).

19. Robert Moorin says:

Risen, There is a Hope So Sure and I know He lives by Graham Kendrick. Love Crucified Arose by Michael Card. He has risen and You Laid Aside Your Majesty by Noel Richards

20. Brian Mikul says:

Rise Again – Dallas Holm

21. Karen B. says:

Thanks Trevin, you’ve got some good songs listed that I didn’t know, and some of the songs mentioned in the comments are new to me as well. I’ve got 200+ songs in my Easter playlist. Here are a bunch of my favorites:

Petra: It is Finished; and Grave Robber

DeGarmo & Key: Mary; Rejoice; and He Has Risen

Leslie Phillips: Here He comes back from the dead with my heart

Bob Bennett: Still Rolls the Stone

Keith Green: The Victor

Selah: Ain’t No Grave

Natalie Grant: Alive (Mary Magdalene)

Steven Curtis Chapman: Beauty Will Rise (not a traditional Easter song – but it works really well in my Easter playlist, as does his song “All Things New”)

The Imperials: Because He Lives

Steve Green: Come and See; and He Holds the Keys; and I know that my Redeemer Lives

Newsboys: God’s Not Dead; Jesus Paid it All; and No Grave

Tim Hughes: Happy Day

John Michael Talbot: He Is Risen

Third Day & Steven Curtis Chapman: I See Love

Ron Kenoly: Jesus is Alive

Jeremy Camp: Overcome; and Jesus Saves

Matt Redman: Love So High

Phillips Craig and Dean: My Redeemer Lives

Michael Olson: On the Third Day

Big Daddy Weave: Redeemed

Joanne Hogg, Kristyn Getty et al: The Risen Christ (from New Irish Hymns #2)

Aaron Shust: Risen Today

Lou Felllingham: See the Lamb of God (A really awesome song, I was able to download it free from Kingsway Worship – a UK site.)

Stuart Townend: See What a Morning

Fireworks: Shatter the Darkness

Lincoln Brewster: Shout for Joy

Truro Cathedral Choir: The Strife is O’er (from the hymns album Easter Joy – lots of good hymns on this!)

Twila Paris: Sweet Victory (not a traditional Easter song, but it works well)

Carman: Sunday’s On the Way

Bart Millard: Victory in Jesus

Graham Kendrick: This Joyful Eastertide; and You’re Alive (Led Like a Lamb)

Darlene Zschech: Victor’s Crown (a free download at Kingsway)

Phil Wickham: The Victory

22. Karen B. says:

Oops forgot a really great one: Casting Crowns: Glorious Day

1. Trevin Wax says:

What a great list! Thank you.

23. Clint Leonhart says:

There is a song by a man whose name is Mike McClure called “Hung between two Theives” that is very good. Not very many people have heard it. You can find it on YouTube.

24. Mary Otte says:

How do I down load these wonderful songs?

25. Simon P says:

What?! Where is ‘Thine be the glory, risen conquering Son’? How can any Easter service be complete without it? :)