podcastsA few months ago, I listed nine magazines worth subscribing to. I’d like to follow up today with some podcast recommendations.

Just like I don’t read every magazine cover to cover, neither do I listen to every episode of these podcasts. But here are the ones I turn to on a regular basis. All of them are free on iTunes.

(I’ve decided not to include church and sermon podcasts. I listen to some great preachers, but for the purposes of this post, I wanted to focus primarily on news and cultural commentary.)

Here’s my list:

twepodcastart1. The World and Everything In It

As I wrote before, I like World magazineThis podcast is a half hour newsmagazine that summarizes the day’s top news and features commentary from a conservative Christian perspective. The quality is excellent, and you can forward to the next segment in case you’re not interested in what’s being discussed. Great coverage and commentary!

Mere-Fidelity-logo2. Mere Fidelity

This is a newer addition to my podcast subscription list. Two of my friends (Matthew Lee Anderson and Derek Rishmawy) engage in conversation with Alastair Roberts and Andrew Wilson. Good group of guys whose discussions are always thoughtful and whose perspectives are always worth considering. They’ve done two episodes on N. T. Wright, they’ve tackled the “transgender” issue while reading Oliver O’Donovan, and they’ve had Fred Sanders on as a guest to discuss the Trinity. What are you waiting for?

philvischerpodcast3. Phil Vischer Podcast

I think Phil Vischer (creator of VeggieTales) is funny and Skye Jethani is insightful. (Not that Phil isn’t insightful or Skye isn’t funny, but whatever…) Put them together on a podcast and you’re going to learn while you laugh (kind of like Vischer’s projects for kids). Big-tent evangelicalism has never been so fun!

rainer-on-leadership-logo-300-300x3004. Rainer on Leadership

Jonathan Howe hosts this podcast, a weekly conversation with Thom Rainer, president of LifeWay Christian Resources. Rainer talks about different trends he observes in the landscape of churches and ministries in North America. Always food for thought here.

mza_3554823918468174302.600x600-755. Ask Pastor John

John Piper’s biblical knowledge and pastoral experience is on full display in this – the shortest podcast on my list. Each episode is only a few minutes, but in that time, Piper offers wise counsel and biblical advice on a variety of issues. You may not always agree with Piper, but you’ll find his consistent appeal to Scripture to be stimulating as you work through some of these issues on your own.

Morning-Prayer-from-The-Episcopal-Church-in-Garrett-County,-MD-logo6. Morning Prayer from the Episcopal Church in Garrett County

This is the oddest submission on my list, I admit. It is a recitation of every day’s morning prayer from The Book of Common Prayer - fifteen minutes or so of biblical readings and ancient prayers set against a relaxing soundtrack. I don’t listen to this every day, but there are times when I’ll put it on in the car or house and just sit back and “listen” to the Word delivered according to the time-tested pattern of Cranmer’s liturgy.

freakonomics7. Freakonomics Radio

Like his book Freakonomics, Stephen Dubner explores “the hidden side of everything.” This is a weekly podcast that offers a twist on what is accepted knowledge in society today.

Additional Podcasts

I subscribe to a variety of other podcasts that are updated on a less consistent basis, including TGC and seminary chapel and conference talks.

What about you? What do you recommend?

What podcasts should I should add to my list?

Comments:

33 thoughts on “7 Podcasts Worth Checking Out”

1. Mark says:

umm… the Briefing? (Mohler)

1. Trevin Wax says:

That’s another good one. I didn’t put it here because it’s faster for me to read The Briefing transcripts than to listen to the podcast, and because I turn to The World and Everything In It for daily roundups of news.

2. Justin says:

I second The Briefing and also recommend Thinking in Public, also by Dr. Al Mohler.

1. Trevin Wax says:

Another good one, but like I wrote above, I am sharing the ones that are updated daily or weekly.

3. Ed Stetzer says:

A good list… very helpful.

4. David M Root says:

Alistair Begg’s http://www.truthforlife.org. I haven’t found a better teacher of the Word.

1. Wayne Hetrich says:

Alistair Begg is the real deal and all about the word and not about personality. I find his candidness about theology and life refreshing.

5. Bruce Armstrong says:

I particularly enjoy Dr. Johnn MacArthur’s “Grace to You” – 30 minutes and absolutely sound Biblical teaching.

1. David M Root says:

Thanks….I will find it and listen!

6. I like Fresh Air with Terri Gross as well.

1. Trevin Wax says:

I’ve heard good things about this one. Thanks for the recommendation.

7. Zac Harrel says:

“The Table” podcast put out by Dallas Theological Seminary and hosted by Darrel Bock has been very helpful for me as well as HB CHarles Jr. “On Preaching” podcast.

1. Trevin Wax says:

Hadn’t heard of these two! Thanks for the recommendations.

8. Tyler says:

The Reformed Pubcast, a podcast about theology and beer and anything else that might come up. A lot of good, edifying talks along with some entertainment. It also has a very close knit community on fb. Check it out.

9. Jackie Gilliam says:

Wretched Radio where I first heard of you :-)

1. Trevin Wax says:

Is there a podcast on iTunes for Wretched?

1. There is a Wretched podcast for the (approximately 15 minute) “segment of the day,” but not for the whole show. There is a Wretched app that has a “listen live” feature. From what I can tell, they run the previous day’s show in a continuous loop. Unfortunately, you can’t pause it and come back to it later, or save an episode or anything like that, but it’s better than nothing. I would love it if Todd would podcast each day’s show. Think you can put a bug in his ear about it, Trevin? :0)

Also, I highly recommend Fighting for the Faith with Chris Rosebrough.

10. Flyaway says:

Thank you for this post. It is interesting to see what other Christians are listening to. I’m retired and handicapped so I have more time to listen to podcasts and sermons. Here is my list:

Podcasts I listen to:

Faith Bible Church
    Mitchell Road Presbyterian Church Greenville, SC Andy Lewis
    North Hills Community church Greenville, SC Peter Hubbard

11. Phil says:

I am surprised no one has mentioned: Unbelievable, with Justin Brierly

1. Kaspars says:

Same here! And don’t forget the Dividing Line with James White!

1. Phil says:

I tried The Dividing Line, based on your recommendation. Within 3 minutes, Obama was an “Imperial Emperor” and “Evil;” I turned it off.

While I think a lot of things about Obama, this sort of language isn’t reality-based.

12. Matthew Linder says:

I listen to Christ and Pop Culture’s podcast which comes out three times a week.

13. Josh Dyvig says:

A couple longer ones: White Horse Inn and Stand to Reason.

14. Susan says:

No mention yet of The Mortification of Spin? It’s very Presbyterian and very funny, mostly because Carl Trueman is very witty. Todd Pruitt and Aimee Byrd (honorary man for the purposes of the podcast and Housewife Theologian) round out the panelists and they all complement one another well. I tend to like podcasts with a combo of two males to one female (if only that was the ratio in singles ministry!) which is also one of the reasons I enjoy the Phil Vischer Podcast. I’ll assume it was simply a mistake that Christian Taylor, the female panelist on the podcast, wasn’t listed along side Phil and Skye. :-)

1. Trevin Wax says:

Christian is awesome, indeed! I didn’t list her because she’s not in every episode, but you’re right. She’s an integral part of what makes that podcast enjoyable.

15. Andy says:

Quite often I listen to Divine Office.org:

There’s audio under each section but I commonly listen to the Office of Readings section.

I also enjoy listening to, rather than reading. the one year bible on occasion:

16. Dan B. says:

Reformed Forum is good for chewing on theological matters (even for a Baptist like me!); 9Marks is another one, though they don’t add new content that often.

17. Pitt Muresan says:

Thanks Trevin, very helpful.
    I like a lot “5 minutes in church history”.

18. Andrew T says:

Great list! Here are a few of my favorites that haven’t already been mentioned:

– Theology Unplugged (Michael Patton, Sam Storms, Tim Kimberly, JJ Seid)
    – Up for Debate with Julie Roys
    – The City Online (Houston Baptist University – culture, art, literature, etc)
    – 5 Minutes in Church History (Ligonier)
    – Winning Slowly (Chris Krycho, Stephen Carradini – technology, ethics, art, etc)
    – Questions and Ethics with Russell Moore

19. Dan Baker says:

I came here from the Phil Vischer podcast! I try to hit a range of theological viewpoints:
    Reformed: White Horse Inn
    Anabaptist: Seminary Dropout
    Liberal: Homebrewed Christianity
    Post-Evangelical: Bad Christian, Newsworthy with Norsworthy, Unbelievable?

20. Russell C says:

Looking forward to listening to these.
    I also like:
    Ted Talks

And am enjoying the early episodes of: Audio Liturgy.

21. Mike says: