Kindle Deal: Truth Matters: Confident Faith in a Confusing World by Darrell Bock & Andreas Kostenberger. $2.99.
Seven of the best articles I came across this week:
1. Vivian Giang – These Are the Long-Term Effects of Multi-tasking. This article will make you rethink my habits in a few areas.
2. Many of you have asked for an update on my sister, after her family lost their home in a fire late last year. (See my original blog post here.) On my Facebook page, I’ve posted a video with my sister and brother-in-law talking about their experience.
3. Patrick Deneen – How a Generation Lost Its Common Culture. Here’s how this article starts: “My students are know-nothings. They are exceedingly nice, pleasant, trustworthy, mostly honest, well-intentioned, and utterly decent. But their brains are largely empty, devoid of any substantial knowledge that might be the fruits of an education in an inheritance and a gift of a previous generation. They are the culmination of western civilization, a civilization that has forgotten nearly everything about itself, and as a result, has achieved near-perfect indifference to its own culture.”
4. The Southern Baptist Convention has another candidate for president – Steve Gaines, pastor of Bellevue Baptist in Memphis. See also this insightful interview with the candidate announced last week, J.D. Greear, pastor of The Summit Church in Raleigh, NC.
5. Mark Galli – Is This Election Shaping the Future of Evangelicalism? Interesting analysis from Mark, especially the rise of racial justice as a first-order issue on par with the pro-life ethic.
6. Josh Rogers – The Overlooked Hope for Narnia’s Susan Pevensie. I love articles that make me rethink the fate of the characters in some of my favorite books.
7. Mike Cosper – The Messy Secrets of Perfect Pitch. Who knew the science of music could be so fascinatingly beautiful?